When will PG notify

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by JayTee, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Hi,

I know that PG will only ask for your permission to run an application when you set it to "allow once" or "deny once" but consider the scenarios below:

1i) I have my browser open. The PG setting for the browser is set to "allow once"
    1ii) I then open another application (not a browser or a file sharing app). The PG setting for this application is also set to "allow once"
    Question: If the application tries connect to the internet through a default browser, will PG ask me for permission to run the browser?

2i) I have my browser open. The PG setting for the browser is set to "allow always"
    2ii) I then open another application (not a browser or a file sharing app). The PG setting for this application is also set to "allow once"
    Question: If the application tries connect to the internet through a default browser, will PG ask me for permission to run the browser?

In short, can we do some basic application filtering with PG?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi JayTee, 1i)
    Yes if the application tries to open a new instance of rhe browser but not if your browser has been given permission to run once and uses tabbed browsing, though this may also depend upon how you have your tabbed browser set up.

No, as you have the browser to permit all.

You also have the scenario where you have say firefox as your main browser but then use winupdate for instance, which will use IE and overide the default browser settings anyway, many update programs assume IE or need IE. to do their work. In these instances I have IE to permit once so that I know when those programs are trying to get out. That is if I ever allow them that privilege ;)

To answer your last question. Yes PG can act as a basic application filter but only because of the security protection given by the Security list.

HTH Pilli

3. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Thanks. Needed some clarification

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.