When to install Nod32 when setting up new pc

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Turpster, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turpster

Turpster Registered Member

I guess I am new to the whole PC Security thing. More of a hardware person, I have always just relied on Norton Internet Security Prof. Well, after the past year of using NIS2004 and watching it drag my machines to a slow grind I decided to do some research on other options. I found a lot of good information on this subject, esp here at Wilders Security Forum - So THANKS to everyone!

After doing some testing, I decided that NOD32, Sygate Pro, TSD-3 and Wormguard would replace my use of Norton. I am already using Ad-Aware SE Prof, Spy Bot SD, Spywareblaster and Spywareguard.

My question is, on a clean install of Windows XP Prof. SP2 when should I install Nod32? Right after I install all hardware drivers? or wait until I have installed all my programs such as MS Office, etc.

To avoid conflicts, I usually wait to install the AV and firewall last, but now I am not so sure.

On a recent new install to compare the different AV's, trojans were already showing up and I had barely used the machine...... so, waiting might not be a good idea.

I have an always on connetion, behind a linksys router with built in firewall - But of course, the machine is still exposed unless I disconnect the modem.

If I disconnect the modem, then I have the problem of many programs needing updates, have product activation, etc. and I like to apply these updates prior to moving on to the next piece of software. But I guess I may have to get over that.

The smart thing to do I guess would be to disconnect the modem install everything with Nod32 last. Then connect the modem and do all the updates - but what a pain.

Let me know what you think my safest bet would be.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You are safe behind the router. On a major reinstall, you can pull the modem plug from the wall if you feel safer doing it that way.

After you install your programs, get your updates. Not too bad a chore with dsl.

I would put NOD on last after all upgrades.

I am behind a linksys with adsl also.

sp2 should install with the software firewall enabled.

3. Turpster

Thanks Ronjor,

Maybe, I will turn off the other machines on my network while doing this as maybe they are infected - that way its just the new machine and the router.

Then one by one I am going to tear them all down and reinstall - mainly to get a good SP2 install.

I never relized how bad the trojan problem is - I ran norton (always updated) scans twice a week and it always told me that everything was clean.

I put Nod32 or Kav on (during my testing) and they finds 2 to 3 trojans per machine - bytefly and spy something or other. Makes me wonder what Norton has been doing and why I have been giving them so much money all these years. (Not trying to bad mouth Norton - If it is working for someone great)

Oh-well, I guess I need to get to work.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I just have a single machine. I don't envy you. Never ending battle.

5. Turpster

I guess I am crazy - but I am running 5 machines. I am always upgrading my hardware and next thing I know I have enough left over parts to build another one. So, I figure it might as well be put to use instead of sit in a closet collecting dust.

I mainly use the extra machines for testing out software packages before I install on my main computer (which is the one I am working on now - it is loaded with stuff and is a real pain to redo).

The extra machines also work great on the rare occasion I can get a group of people together that like to play computer games over the lan. I might throw Linux up on one of them to try it out - but I guess that should be another thread as I do not want to upset the mods.

6. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

I don't know of any proscribed rules that govern the order in which you install 3rd party software. Personally, I'd install the AV and Firewall now, so you know as you're loading other software what if anything causes any conflicts. However, I would recommend disabling on access AV when installing things like MS office or other large installations. You might want to disable the Firewall software as well. I'd also recommend incrementally updating each piece of software as you go. Finish each job you start. But that's me.
    I see no reason to disable your modem, unless you intend to update the firmware in your router/firewall.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Turpster, if you knew your network was clean and you were sitting behind a Router and Hardware Firewall, then I would usually do the following:

Install Windows and Update it.
    Install MS Office and Update it.
    Install Nod32 and Update it.
    Install other Security Software and Update them.

On an infected/suspect network:

Disconnect from the network.
    Install Windows
    Turn on Windows Firewall.
    Install Nod32
    Connect back to the network/internet
    Update Nod32.
    Update Windows.
    Install MS Office and Update it.
    Install other Security Software and Update them.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

8. Blackspear

I know this is the traditional school of thought/practice on installing software, however we are yet to see a conflict between Nod32 with AMON running, and installing a standard software application, even games...

I installed the following, in the order as shown, with an Image taken by Acronis True Image between installation of each application, while sitting behind a Netgear ADSL Modem/Router/Firwal Combo on a clean network:

Windows
    Windows Updates
    Acronis True Image
    Nod32
    Prevx
    Spware Blaster
    Spware Guard
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    AdAware
    ZoneAlarm - version 4.5.594
    Script Defender
    Proxomitron
    Kye U's filters for Proxomitron
    Ewido - without file monitoring
    IE Spyad
    Fire Fox
    File Checker

Again, traditionally this is the advice given, however, again I am yet to see a conflict between ZoneAlarm and installing any software on my system and many many other systems. If and when that event occurs and I will go back to the traditional school of thought… 10 years on, I'm still doing it my way ;)

Good advice, we do the same, no half jobs… ;)

True, and if you are doing this, follow the advice given by the manufacturer precisely ;)

Just my $1.00 worth, 2 cents isn’t worth anything these days ;) :D

9. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

I'm glad to hear that, as disabling/re-enabling these things is a minor PIA. Also, glad to hear you've experienced no issues with Acronis TI with your AV and Firewall enabled. One less variable I need to concern myself with respect to TI.

10. Blackspear

Just give it a try next time and see how you go, that's what got me started down that path 10 years ago, haven't looked back since ;)

Glad I could be of help...

11. Turpster

Thanks eveyone! Good suggestions! I was not sure if I was originally even going to post this question - but I am glad I did.

The machine is formatting its drives right now and then windows XP goes on.

Leehigdon3 - I agree that you should update as you go - finish each job.

Blackspear - I think I am going to go with your suggestion as Office should probably be on and configured for email so Nod32 will detect it on install. (might not matter, but it seems logical)

I don't know maybe I am putting to much thought into this.....

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I as well. :D

13. Blackspear

Never be afraid to ask a question here, no matter how much of a goose you may feel, better to ask the question than sit in the dark all your life wondering if there is a light switch somewhere nearby ;)

No need for either of us to change, both ways are fine ;)

14. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

What i do is have all microsoft updates on a CD, Microsoft will send you this on request. So then you can do most of your updates without being online without NOD. But of course it doesnt have them all so you must connect online to finish them.
    and also the ms updates CD is automatic, you put it in and press install and walk away, it will reboot and resume installing updates automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.