When to expect avast! 5 Beta?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by progress, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Looks very interesting. I am also willing to beta test. Avast has been one of the most stable AV I have ever used. The support is great and the program is great. I was never happy with the front-end of the program but the look from the screen shots show they are heading in the right direction.

Ice

2. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Raven211, avast has the technology to check idle time activity (no keyboard and no mouse movement). It is something different on Vista than in XP (avast needs improvements on this routine in Vista). But I think the screensaver module is intended to be run while the screensaver is running and won't use keyboard/mouse detection, leaving this detection to Windows itself to load the screensaver.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

So what you're saying is, no matter if I use the screensaver module or not, Avast! (v5) will take care of tasks of its own when I'm not using my system anyway?

4. Technical

No, I'm not saying that.
    avast Pro has scheduling possibilities, avast Home free just have the screensaver module. Well, there was a feature called VRDB (virus recovery database) but it will be dropped in avast 5.
    So, no tasks on-demand that will be managed by avast Home (the on-access or resident activities will be there, of course).

5. raven211

Okay, now I think I got that straight... Now, about the scheduling capabilities in the Pro-version - is that where you mean idle-detection apart from screensaver module can be found, or were you talking about the screensaver module only all the time?

Another thing I'm not sure about... is the screensaver module indeed a screensaver which you select under the desktop-properties, OR, does it sense when the screensaver, whatever is chosen as screensaver, goes on, and begins to do intensive tasks like scanning the system and so on - and in that case, would that option be on by default?

That last thing might indeed just be some wishing-thoughts of my own. :D

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

On the other hand i think this feature is useless (screensaver scanning). I only perform full system scans so i get that green checkmark in some antiviruses, but other than that i rely on on-access (real-time) protection only. I mean i see no point in doing full scan unless you are installing AV on a known infected system where you just have to sweep through all the files. Otherwise, whats the point of on-access if some are scanning their drives daily. It's just stupid and only stresses hardware for no real reason.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

what theyre dropping the VRDB? why, isnt that a pretty useful feature, ive never used it since i havent been infected or anything, but in theory it sounds like it wuld be a good option?

8. raven211

Maybe they can tell us about a replacement. :rolleyes:

9. Technical

avast Pro does not have idle-detection to schedule. Only the screensaver module (on both Home and Pro versions) has it (on version 4 and 5).

It is a screensaver like any other. It does not detect other screensavers and run in background, it starts the scanning and the screensaver of your own set into avast screensaver module.
    The properties of the scanning can only be fully configurated with the Pro version.

10. Technical

In theory only. It's an obsolete technology that allows reparation of few infections at some executable files (.exe, .com). It sounds more than in fact it is.

I think it won't be a replacement for it.

11. firzen771

hmm well thx for clearing that up a bit.

12. IceCube1010

agreed 100%. If your machine is infected while your real-time shields are up, the security software has failed. Realistically, the only time you need to scan is on an already infected machine or if you like to watch the toolbox icon go gaga.

Ice

13. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Unless you've been unlucky enough to score a zero-second threat before the definitions were updated. (Which I suppose could be looked at as a failure.)

14. IceCube1010

If that zero second threat got past the AV, Sandbox, hips and FW, then you really would have a winner! :argh:

Ice

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually if on-access misses it at first, it will eventually detect it once detection is added. Either when user tries to run it or when the program tries to start by itself. Thats also where self-defense and anti-rootkit functionality comes into use later.

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I wonder if the beta will be released this week?

17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'm wondering that too.
    A regular check of the Avast forum hasn't turned up an official date so far.
    Hopefully it isn't too far off.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's nothing official yet. Few of us were able to get hands on the first alpha few weeks ago, but that was very early version with lots of non functional features and many bugs. But it looked great. Beta release was not announced yet but we're expecting it soon. You'll see it when its out. ;)

19. Captn

Captn Registered Member

I can't wait :D

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

TICK.. TOCK.. TICK.. TOCK..

avast! 4 Home/Pro Version 4.8.1351 released August 17, 2009

Changes

* improvements in some unpackers (WinExec, Installers, Droppers)
    * various fixes and improvements in the scanning engine
    * Standard Shield: stability improvements in the kernel-mode drivers
    * preparations for smoother migration to v5 (when it's released)

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html

21. the Tester

FWIW, on my system it needed to reboot after the update.
    It's encouraging to read that last line in the changelog!
    Maybe 5 beta isn't very far down the road.:thumb:

22. firzen771

i sure hope its not very far down the road. im excited to test it out. this IS honestly the beta that ive been most excited for EVER so far. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  23. raven211

I'm pretty sure it's been some Norton edition for me - I think 2009 - but this definitely shares spot with it. The times and how they change definitely got a lot to do with it. :)

24. the Tester

It ranks right up near the top for me too.
    Enough that I check the Avast blog and forum every day. :)

25. firzen771

hehe likewise :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.