When is a failure not a failure?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pd31, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pd31

pd31 Registered Member

Brand new TrueImage 10 on an HP computer with "LightScribe" combo drive. The Mobo has I believe an nVidia chipset with SATA storage interconnect.
    Athlon dual-core CPU, running Vista Home Premium edition. I use only TDK and Verbatim DVD+R media.

Doing my first full backup, which takes 4 disks. Doing it with "verify" turned on. (Been burned by that before - useless backups back in the old tape days)

As it asks for each disk for the verify pass an alert say an "Error occurred when opening the archive" and this was because "Archive is invalid or its type is unsupported".

I click OK each time and it keeps on verifying. (The time estimate on the verify progress dialog is quite pessimistic by the way. It is actually going at about the same speed as writing.)

At the end it says "The operation was completed successfully."

Do I have a valid backup or not? I have been thru this twice, once with TDK and once with Verbatim.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I don't have an answer, but I will say this. The real "horror" (for want of a better word) of backing up directly to DVD is when you come to restore - if you ever have to do so. With 4 dvds you'll be swapping those discs in an out in what would seem like an endless process.
    Save yourself the agony and backup to another hard drive, internal or external. Then if you want extra security burn the backup to dvd afterwards using Nero or Roxio. NOTE: you'll have to split the backups in dvd sized chunks during the making of the backup. Many users like to use 1492Mb - something to do with some old guy coming to America. :D :D
    The only way to be sure of a good backup, no matter what type of media holds the backup, is to carry out a restore to a spare hard drive.

3. pd31

pd31 Registered Member

It appears that the message about a bad archive is actually coming from Windows Vista, not from TI. Autoplay kept trying to figure out what was on each disk as I inserted it. Turning off Autoplay fixed it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The advice about another hard drive still applies. One of 4 dvd's goes bad and you have garbage. Same thing about test restoring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.