Whay registry key does Spware Blaster 6.0 use to determine whether Microsoft Edge is installed

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by CW33514, Oct 19, 2023.

1. CW33514

CW33514 Registered Member

I have used the install Microsoft Edge program, with these parameters:-

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\%edgever%\Installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level

to uninstall Microsft, as I hate being forced to have it installed when I do not use it under Windows 10.

Windows 10 works perfectly well without it.

However, Spyware Blaster 6.0 still behaves as if Microsoft Edge is installed and lists the number of protection disabled settings.

Can you please advise what registry key Spyware Blaster uses to determine whether Microsoft Edge is installed?

I would like to delete that registry key, so that Spware Blaster does not treat my system as if Microsoft Edge is installed, when it is not.

I have search the registry in vain to find this entry, but it appears to be hidden in some way.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

Not sure, but maybe this
    Code:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Edge

3. CW33514

Thanks for your help, but it does not appear to be the case.
    The following is the entry from the registry for a system that Spyware Blaster 6.0 does not report Microsoft Edge as being installed:-
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Edge]
    "NoRemove"=dword:00000001
    But there is no such entry in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    There are many entries under "Uninstall" but nothing for Microsft Edge
    on a system that Spyware Blaster does report Microsoft Edge as being installed.
    I have tried applying the
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Edge]
    "NoRemove"=dword:00000001
    registry entry to the system that Spyware Blaster 6.0 does report Microsoft Edge as being installed
    but it makes no difference.
    Spyware Blaster continues report Microsoft Edge as being installed.
    I need to determine what criteria Spyware Blaster 6.0 uses to determine whether Microsoft Edge is installed, so that I can change the systems that it says Edge is installed on, so that Spyware Blaster 6.0 does not report Edge as being installed
    when it is not.
    Microsoft Edge has been removed using the Installer setup.exe parameters as follows:-
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\%edgever%\Installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level
    Can you help me with this?
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster performs a number of checks to determine if Microsoft Edge (or components or references) are still installed.

Since Microsoft Edge is now treated as a Windows component by Windows itself, the method you've used to uninstall it may remove the visible parts of the browser, but may not entirely remove Edge and the Edge-powered WebView controls that Windows apps may use.

However, if you'd still like to continue:

The first step would be to make sure that you haven't configured the "ForceDetect" registry key for SpywareBlaster's Edge support:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SpywareBlaster\ForceDetect\MicrosoftEdge

If that's not present, then there may be additional parts or remnants of Edge remaining.

(If you really want to try to clear out other remnants you can look for other common registry references like:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Microsoft Edge
    However please note: This is not any sort of official recommendation, is untested, and is done at your own risk. I also would not be surprised if future Windows updates add these sort of references back.)

Probably the easiest option would be to simply ignore the browser detections you don't wish to see - for example, you can go into the Microsoft Edge Protection in SpywareBlaster, uncheck all of the options, and then the link to enable all new protection when downloading updates won't even bother applying the Edge protection.

5. CW33514

Thank you for the information.

The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SpywareBlaster\ForceDetect\MicrosoftEdge does not exist.
    The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Microsoft Edge does not exist.

I have unchecked all options in Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Edge Protection, but it then simply lists 243 items as unprotected.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spyware Blaster 6.0.

Prior to this, I developed a dos batch file that is run every time all my PCs boot, to Uninstall Edge using the
    command, if it finds any Edge folders and files that exist. It also deletes all Edge registry entries, files and folders that I know of.

So that when a Windows Update (like KB5031445) sneaks in another Edge install, it is automatcially uninstalled.

However, there must still be something on these systems that Spyware Blaster uses to determine that Edge is installed.
    I just do not know what it is.

Is there somewhere I can report this to the developers of Spyware Blaster?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.