What's up with AV-Comparatives

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Re: What's up with AV-Comparatives?

What about Av-Test? 94.4%?
    Virus.gr- 93.36%

Also if you look at this guys tests:http://www.youtube.com/Mrizos
    Which has left his computer unprotected in order to get the samples, Eset scored only 3/5.
    Also the lack of a behaviour blocking function reduces a lot it's proactive protection.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Don't look at the Advance+ look at the actual score. and how its out done by free software. also in the ON DEMAND test. it may have a Advance+ but so does 80% of the other titles if you get right down to the % nod is still trailing hard. again. free products are out scoring it.

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02
    Another test its % of detection is going down. sorry but the simple fact is nod just like every other AV vendor has to move with the times. Virus writers don't stop and wait for a AV to decide to advance its tech. they force it and if a AV is unwilling to see that the environment is changing they will have no ware to go but down.

And just a FYI its not just detection people have complaints about its the over all service. it has had 3 Definition updates now in 2/3 months that have crippled ENTIRE infrastructures. including the one I run. the loss of man hours and the loss of productivity just is not acceptable anymore plain and simple.

Like I said before I'm not bashing nod I really hope they seriously get there act together. I have been a long time customer and don't want that to change but when an entire network is compromised by 1 piece of software repeatedly, its time to move on.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

So two consecutive AV products of the year from AV-Comparatives holds no weight? I should be impressed by the quality of work by Mrizos? Is he a professional virus tester?
    Does he have the same level of expertise as AV-Comparatives?

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sadly, No it don't AV products are always evolving so what was good one month may just suck the next. its the company's ability to keep up with the times and not get stuck in a rut. If they don't do this there reputation will only carry them so far before it destroys them.. look at Norton they had to make some serious changes to stay competitive.

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

So all the VB100 awards, AV-Comparatives results are meaningless?

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Again. AV-Comparatives scores for nod the last year have NOT been that good Look past the advance+ and look at the score. as for VB100 as there have been countless debates on this, the simple look at it is its old its outdated and not up to par with what is offered and standardized now a days. To the point that now even vendors are questioning the test. but of coarse this all matters on the perspective of the test.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

half of those products with top level scores in these tests have never added up, and have certainly never met my own expectations.

sometimes, i look at these tests and think "what the flying f..., how in the world....."

Am i a professional virus tester?, nope.

does not matter?...nope, as it is I with the cheque book.

:p

does these testers test 'any' of the malware in their tests?
    and my big question is, are they even able to?

we look at these testers as #Professional#, but maybe only the presentation and sample count is.....

9. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Hy i don't use a av anymore and i don't care about this tests,not now or even when i had an av.But regarding your question who cares if it was product of the year!!All it matters in av world is "now".
    And for the record, Not only Eset support forum are filled with "infected pc".Of course since it's here at Wilders we see them more.

10. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

to quote my self from that exact same post you made here.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=219841&page=2

it's amazing how "tests" are so looked down on when they don't support your point of view.. but when they do. watch out as people tell the world and gloat over the test.

11. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I have no point of view here beyond the fact that the tests plain suck, generally. They don't give me any useful information whatsoever to decide on products. Heck, some of them are so totally retarded they don't even actually test the class of products they claim to test (good morning, Mr. Matoušek :rolleyes: )

:thumbd:

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

On that test. you and me both share the same views. :p

13. egghead

egghead Registered Member

.....and they suck big time !

You're my man. Thanks for the link: very good article.

There is just one "gold standard" and thats your own experience with an AV.
    If AV-X keeps your rig clean then this is the "best" AV there is (for you).

Could not have said this better :rolleyes:

14. schitzn

schitzn Registered Member

Im a ESET reseller and have been for a year now. I can say ESET does a fantastic job on virus definitions, however in the spyware category it seriously lacks ability. I have a machine running Kaspersky, Avira, AVG, Norton, Spyware Docotor and ESET. I can say by experience that ESET seems to miss many vairants of Virtumonde and a lot of malware. The fact that this recent report positions ESET at the bottom of the list for malware further demonstrates that it needs to pull its finger out.

Avira's scanning speed is a lot faster than ESET's even though their website comparisons fail to even compare against it (marketing I guess). Note that Avira is a very solid product in all tests (vb and av-comparisons) and has been consistently for the last 12 months.

To counter the article above, read this same article criticizing vbulletins methods against av-tests method, published by the same author, but completely taking it the opposite direction. So, who do you trust now?
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/06/09/trend_vb_test_criticism/

Being bias against a particular product (ie. Nearly everyone will agree that Norton sucks) is just an opinion, one needs to substantiate based on fact from many sources. In fact Norton 2009 seems like it may even make the top 3 security products of the year on all reviews/tests (internal/external) done so far in its single week life. If I was to say Norton Internet Security 2009 uses over 50% less RAM than ESET Smart Security, scans faster (file mb/ps), and performs better in malware detections, you'd say Im crazy and opinionated. Beleive it or not, this is the truth, and if you measure this yourself, you will see this is the case also. Its still early days but heres some of external sources I'll use to substantiate my claim:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/new/features/index.jsp
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/new/fast/index.jsp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330018,00.asp
    http://review.zdnet.com/internet-se...rnet-security-2009/4505-3667_16-33246586.html

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  15. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Results will vary from test to test. Eset had a higher overall score than F-Secure and Avast! in the February On Demand AV-Comparative. Eset never does as well in any AV-Test.org test.
    As far as Norton goes, I tried the 2009 AV and was very impressed. I've always considered Norton a top notch product.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  16. Medank

Medank Registered Member

You must be crazy :D

Norton 2009 scans faster then ESET and use 50% less RAM then Eset ?
    Performs better in malware detection then ESET? are you sure about Norton 2009?

You must be crazy then :)

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sad part about Eset. is simply even the free products out there and what considered a crap product is now doing better then they are. its time to wake up Eset unfortunately you cant stay alive on renewals all your life.

18. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Where is your proof? The AV-test.org test? What free and crap products are doing better? Repeating misleading information does not make it true.

19. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Read the last what 8 posts ? click some of the links. :rolleyes: even a Reseller. is preaching the same thing bro. you can't hate people for being aware of whats going on in the AV world.

Again bro if your wanting more just check the official support forums. they have all the info you want.

20. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Again, what free and crap products are doing better than Eset? I don't hate anyone. I am simply asking where is the proof? What are the free and crap products? Are you trolling? Is that it?

21. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I wont turn this into a A vs B.. but I would be more then happy to PM you things like that if you would like just pass me a PM. :cool:

Edit.
    In respect to Trolling No not in the least. and I Don't hate Eset. I almost guarantee I have more licensees to that product then you do. my simple complaint is they need to get with the program or be left in the dust. 4 days ago they crippled most company's infrastructure. in the middle of the day. read the support forum on that one. its not this one instance that has shy ed me away its happened more then once in a 3 month period. there is a lot going on at Eset. it's not all just with detection bro.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  22. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

You continue to bash Eset. All I'm asking for is some proof. If you don't provide any, I assume you are simply trolling.

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira is free and it ain't crap in any sense, its tops.........point is its not about A and B, its about consistency and in that aspect, Avira has been delivering since the last two years. Does that mean rest of the AVs are crap, far from it, all are legitimately good in their own rights. Whatever works for the user is the mantra here. OTOH, I hate OS hosers and there are some AVs that with every update tend to do serious damage to the OS which would need re-installing the entire OS or worse, loss of precious data.

Btw......Avast is another excellent full fledged free offering which works out quite well in many of the PCs I have installed it in.

24. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I never called any product crap. I'm a fan of many AVs. However, I can only run one at a time.
    Concerning updating , Eset has had some problems lately. That can't be disputed. Fortunately, I have not been affected. However, that is a separate issue from detection.

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Well Avira is free as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.