whats the worst/harmless piece of malware?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by GUI_Tex, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

What is the most destructive, annoying and just plain crap, piece of malware? and what is the most harmless peice of malware? Harmless as in doesn't destoy any data, collect personal info, ect.

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Pains ITA: IST, CWSearch, (and variants), Nimda, MyDoom, Code Red descendents...many others.

Can't speak about "harmless" ones.

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I don't think you can call harmless stuff malware, but i know what you mean, annoying etc. I would include Popups/Cookies/Web bugs/Adware and things like that in the list.

I've made sure i don't suffer any of them, apart from the rare temp only cookie !

StevieO

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Isn't the EICAR anti-virus test file considered harmless?

-- Tom

5. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Coolwebsearch or was already said? APITA regardless.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Whenever I use UnknownDeviceIdentifier.exe. It leaves a shortcut to the website on the desktop. Thats the most benign.

7. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I agree with Coolwebsearch as being one of the most harmful, at least the variants seen in the last two years or so. I've seen a Windows 2000 machine infested with one of their variants at work and while we were able to clean it, it never really fully recovered (I'm guessing there was still a lot of junk in the registry and some system files were corrupted): it always operated quite a lot slower and Internet Explorer had trouble working properly.

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I have to agree that CWS is without a doubt the one nasty that has an organization behind all of its growing variants, and they seem to be getting nastier all of the time.

They modify their name, location in the registry and file system in order to survive.

CoolWebSearch aka CWS gets my vote as the nastiest bugger out there.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.