What's the use of having security software?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IBadget, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

I don't think you would be able to control very many pc's. If you did make such a program, and people ran your leak test executable what would happen is that most peoples HIPS would block the Installation of the Rootkit.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Like what. If you are talking about another email client at this point, the switch over would be a night mare.

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

No, not another email client, but protection at the gate that would prevent malware from executing if an attachment were opened.

I haven't followed email exploits in a while, since there are so few, but current ones that might fool someone would be

• PDF where upon opening, the Reader calls out to download malware.

• DOC, XLS files with an embedded executable as an OLE object.

Less likely to fool someone (hopefully!) would be

• "I Love You" attachments which are really executable files

• Fake MS update notices (I haven't seen these in a long time!)

Many solutions exist to prevent such execution.

I think I understand the sandbox concept; it's just I get nervous thinking that malware might get onto my computer, even though it might be contained. I say "might" because you stated that

It's the parts besides "most" that concern me!

----
    rich

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

More an expression of speech then anything. I've put Sandboxiei thru the wringer, and I have no concerns about anything they might open. Some stuff may trigger OA, but, even with that I don't worry. When I test how Malware does with Sandboxie, I turn off the hips, because I assume I may get it wrong.

Sandboxie hasn't failed anyone yet that I am aware of

Pete

5. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

I thought this topic is about "What's the use of having security software?", but it seems like its just a Sandboxie/Defensewall discussion. The topic title should be renamed.

"What's the use of having security software?"

I think, its already overkill, to have dozen of security applications running, being busy the whole day cleaning, scanning... where is there time to actually USE the computer?

Its almost like I would have a guard in front of each door in my house, guard dogs running around, and sit the whole day in front of my security monitor and watch who might attack my house.

6. Boost

Boost Registered Member

LMAO @softtouch

I agree with you 100%! Like I've said before many times, there's more to life then spending all your time / energy tryin to make your computer setup a 100% secure fortress!!

There's a BUNCH of people on here that really need to step back and grab themselves a more enjoyable hobby thats for sure!! :thumb:

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

To get infected is not the end of the world. Analogies are often made with a burglar breaking into your house: I think that would be extremely traumatic and dramatic if you happened to face the intruder. A 10 minutes restore from an image and you are back in business, with your house you are truly violated even if have an insurance, there is a psychological damage.

8. HungJuri

HungJuri Registered Member

I think it developed that way because of the first sentence in the opening post;

9. progress

progress Guest

Hehe, it sounds great :D

10. arran

arran Registered Member

I don't think many people here would have as many as 12 security applications running, the average would be about 5 or 6. I only have 4 security apps running.
    which are very light.

But I do agree that there is still too many people who rely on scanning software. these people instead need to learn how to prevent getting infected in the first place. But I guess some body has to keep AV and Antispyware Venders and malware writers in business.

11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It's not that simple. If the intruder got hold of sensitive financial info, the user could pay heavily. The "just restore" argument doesn't always apply either. It assumes the user knows they've been infected. That's often not the case. A good rootkit can go undetected for a long time, enabling the intruder to come and go as they please, repeatedly searching through your personal files.

12. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I think as long as people realize its turned into a hobby for them , then its all right.
    There are plenty of hobbies which I think are a bit daft :)

The only problem is a visitor to the site sees a load of apps in a signature, and thinks to h*** with this its just to complicated. But hopefully that doesn't happen much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.