Whats the single best antispyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TECHWG, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

someone said sunbelt software Counterspy, i tried it and im not sure about wether its what i ned or not since spybot picked up cookies and things, but i am not really interested in cookies since i clear them when i close my browser. Whats the best ?

WG

2. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

TECHWG, the day you find it, do not USE it alone. When you use it, it will no longer be the helpful because:

1. It has to be safely and optimally configured for your specific system and personal surfing habits.

2. It cannot be best if other AS products are not good. In security terms GOOD means a lot, for example what happenes when the best fails to detect a problem? Another no so good product may detect it. The issue is layering products brings together different technologies.

3. Sometimes BEST choice does not only look at performance of a single product but also ease of use, resource usage, compatibility with other products, pricing, support and regularity of updates. :D

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

there is no one good product you need a few beacause what some may miss will get picked up by the others

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

As the others told there is no best.
    You have to use two or perhaps more to get a good safety. I use Spyware Terminator which has a free real time protection, low mem impact, and for on demmand scan i use also a-squared free.

5. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

There is no one "best" as far as test results but for lightness and pretty nice detection Spyware Terminator is good. If you don't want realtime then A-Squared and/or Ewido are good (sorry, I can't get used to calling it AVG AS)

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree.
    There is no single best A/S program.
    Some are better than others.
    CounterSpy is a good program,but you will hear that about Spy Sweeper and Zero Spyware also.
    The best for you is the one that you pick after trialing some that look interesting to you.;)

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I prefer to put one for real time protection that is lightest( if at all).
    Others for on-demand scans.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Very very good softwares/stand-alone antispyware are SpySweeper and AVG Anti-spyware . I like them both very much ! *puppy*

9. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Well... until I tried Spyware Dr. I needed to use AdAware & Spybot as well as the Microsoft version "Windows Defender". Still had spyware comming in and found lots on every scans even after using those 3 scanners in sequence they all missed things the others picked up. Spyware Dr. has resolved this for me. I scan with all 3 and never find anything anymore the thing does actually do what I paid it for... Prevent and clean!!!:thumb:

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Spy Sweeper is a good AS. I can see improvements in CPU usage in 5.2 beta.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ideal any ideas when it will be out? 5.2 i mean

12. Hermescomputers

Did anyone ever do a true world side by side comp of Spyware Dr from PC-Tools and Spysweeper?

I'd like to see something from outside the marketting crowd.

13. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

If you want a total unbiased point of view, you often have to do your own tests. I have found very few AS tests that were not slanted in favor of someone's favorite AS product. Or the tests themselves were paid for by the very AS companies' who's products are being tested! Now how can you get a fair evaluation that way? I doubt you would. I just do my own tests. If you have some spare time some weekend you may want to consider it.

14. Hermescomputers

I actually do testing all the time. I use multiple products on a rather large number of VMware Virtual machines.... I was simply inquiring into the possibility of some other independent (from said products) tests that might be available via the Wilders group members…

I thought it might be interesting to see what others think!!!

15. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

No information was given by beta support as to when it will be out. Most probably before the end of the year. Maybe they are working on a new beta build with added support to Vista.

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/10/webroot-sophos.html

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well lets hope its out before the end of december. lets hope the timing is right this time and not saying 45minutes left for over an hour lol.
    if that is fixed and resource usage is better i might renew it but dont know yet.

17. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

There is no single "best", as we speak here one or the other will be "better" due to stronger heuristics hunting for spys that have no signature yet.

For what it is worth I had up to date SD and SS and both are good industrial strength products that do what they say they will do.

I ended up dropping SD for now since SS found a few that SD didn't in my case anyway and takes less resource.

It will be very interesting to see the combined scan speed for viruses and spys when that product comes out.

18. tigerbiter

tigerbiter Registered Member

Can you use Spyware Terminator and Windows Defender at the same time?

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Bassically it comes down to preference, but in the security world it comes down to what your system can handle and if it has enough memory to cope with several Antispyware/Malware etc etc. as a good example I'm running a 3.62Ghz Machine with 1GB RAM. and I have the following Security Set Up:

NOD32 Antivirus 2.51.26 (2 Year Subscription)
    Outpost Pro 4.0.964.6926.(582) (Lifetime Subscription)
    Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.0.7 (3 Year Extended Subscription)
    AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.0.50 Plus (3 Year Extended Subscription)
    Popup Stopper Professional 1.80 (Lifetime Upgrade)
    Super AdBlocker 4.1.0. 1004 (Lifetime Upgrade)
    Counterspy 1.5.82 (1 Year Subscription: Unfortunately Sunbelt will not extend your subscriptions beyond 1 Year at this time, Unlike Webroot & AVG)

I have 3 Automated Scans each week with the 3 Antispyware to run at midday on Monday/Wednesday/ and Friday, ( doesnt matter which runs on which day, but they gives me 3 seperate Scan results each week.) I have had these programs in place, and I can say I have not had a single problem with Hacker Attacks, Spyware/Malware, Viruses, or come to that, a single Popup Either. You may like to try some (or even all these programs yourself) I'm very pleased, my computer is a virtual fortress against everything out there.:D :cool:

20. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I agree with the above. My preference is Webroot's SpySweeper.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i do like spysweeper but the 5.0 versions uses alot of resource and had to turn off the real time shields and if it dont improve I will probably replace it. counterspy 1.5 did run well on my system so could get that and when 2.0 comes out its a free upgrade.

22. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Where is the emphasis, SINGLE, BEST or SINGLE BEST?

1. SINGLE - when used alone, as the only AS in a system? If that desperate, I will run with SS 5 or SD 4.

2. BEST - outperformes all others, better than the rest? That is hard to tell.

3. SINGLE BEST - you never need anything (another AS) else?. None. :D

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, I hope u really mean single best not the single beast?:)

24. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I think there is no single best for anti-spyware, and it is the same for antivirus. If there is a single best, the other competitor will always try to make them better to compete with the single best. So, every single software is continuously improving to make themselves better, and at a single point, there are always pros and cons on all software. A best software maybe more expensive and you have to balance between cost and functionality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.