What's the dllhost.exe process?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by viruscraft, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viruscraft

viruscraft Registered Member

Since I install V4,the dllhost.exe appears in the process list.
    Anyone know what's the funcition of it ?
    Is that process necessary for the protection of V4?
    o_O

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Info from BillP. (Winpatrol Plus)

Attached Files:

3. viruscraft

thx,mate
    But there is no such process after installing V3.
    Is this process necessary for V4?

4. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

The dllhost.exe is a Windows Process, also known as the "The COM+ hosting process" or the COM Surrogate as you see in the Taskman. It has nothing to do with Eset and controls all COM+ processes like .NET Framework. The dllhost.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32 and there can be multiple instances of it running at the same time. Also The dllhost.exe application is an OS-initialized file. This means the dllhost.exe process is executed by the MS Windows OS to run during boot time.

(here is some more info you can look at: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/dllhost.exe.html)

5. viruscraft

Thx,mate.
    But someone suggests that the system updates function of V4 use the this process.
    If set "notify about missing updates from level" to "no updates" ,the dllhost.exe will not appears after a reboot.

6. tisazalay

tisazalay Registered Member

Yes, I can confirm dllhost.exe appears only after upgrading to V4 Beta, that's one of the main reasons I went back to V3, the other one was memory usage (mem was not released with programs like Fast memory defrag), way bigger than v3. Performance was the same.
    Dllhost was hogging my system (It wasn't released as it's supposed according to the post above) and I didn't try the "no update" workaround, I didn't know about it :p

tisazalay

7. MasterTB

Well probably because Eset Uses some COM process or .NET to check for system updates (OS Updates I mean). In any case I wouldn't worry too much. I had it before ESS v4 and I have never had issues with it.

8. viruscraft

:D

Im just a little curious.
    Thx again.

9. MasterTB

You're welcome. I guess it would be nice if one of Eset's mod would clarify as to why does ESS v4 needs dllhost.exe and why?

(just to satisfy our curiosity :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.