What's good small linux for VM with easy HD install?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by pajenn, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

What are some small linuxes in terms of low hard disk space requirement, but still straightforward to install to hard disk and dual boot (like mint but smaller)? Basically the next step up from Puppy Linux?

I need it for VM to test some dual boot configuations, so I don't care much about it's usability (firefox would be nice), but I'd like an automated install option that detects Windows and doesn't require the user to manually prep the partition or configure grub for it (as I had to do with Puppy).

2. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

thanks. describtion sounds good (minimum of 2.5 GB HD space required). I'll see how easy or hard it is to install on VMware.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

CrunchBang is nice -http://crunchbang.org/

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Bodhi (32-bit) installed nicely alongside Win 7. I find the interface clear and beautiful, probably even better looking than Linux Mint (see attached pic), but as expected the system is a little hard for me to use. For example, I cannot figure out how to change the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768. Editing grub.cfg was tricky because there was no 'open as Admin' type options in the context menu or elsewhere, Terminal is called Terminology (typo?) so I couldn't find it at first, and there are little things like sometimes the context menu opens to the right of the mouse cursor even though there is no screen space on the right (when the cursor is close to the edge on that side). But for my purposes it's okay. I did try Crunchbang (64-bit) too briefly, and it also installed nicely alongside Windows 7 and it's a bit easier to use, but also takes more disk space.

Attached Files:

6. MyBlackBox

MyBlackBox Registered Member

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Slitaz is a great little distro, also handy as a way of rescuing files and folders of a relatives pc :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.