What's a normal backup speed?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by peter_nn, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter_nn

peter_nn Registered Member

Just created an image (with ATI WS 9.x bootable CD) of the C:\ partition of my laptop and saved the image on D:\
    C:\ has about 15GB used space, the created image was about 8GB (max compression). Both partitions were defragmented just before making the image, HDD is Seagate Momentus ST980825AS 80GB 7200 rpm

Creating the image took 1h 15 min, without subsequent verification - this seems a bit too much for me.
    Is this speed normal?
    For a comparison, under Windows creating a 1.3 GB rar archive from ~3GB data on C:\ and saving it to D:\ takes about 2 min

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It is slow. For a Windows backup disk-to-internal disk, the speed I use as a rough estimate is about 1GB of normally compressed archive per minute (this is based on the size of the created archive file not the used sectors of the partition). So in your case it should have taken about 8 minutes if created in Windows.

If your processor is not real fast, whatever that means, then you might be better off with normal compression because the compressing may be taking more time than it's worth. If you have a slower link to your backup device such as networked drive or even USB then more compression can be better since you reduce traffic.

Running with the boot CD version means you are using Linux and a common problem is a poor driver match to your hardware. I find that using the boot CD on my PCs usually means about a factor of 1.5-2 poorer speed. However, this number can vary a lot and some people see little, if any, speed reduction and others see a lot. It just depends on your hardware and the Linux software match.

My guess is a poor Linux match but you can try creating the archive in Windows and see what that does. You might also try the suggestion in II of this post regarding ACPI...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

Other options is to raise a support ticket with Acronis or make a BartPE CD which uses the Windows environment.

3. peter_nn

thanks for the reply.
    My CPU is 2.13GHz dual core, can't be considered slow. I guess you are right that it's a poor Linux match, will try with Bart PE.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Generally, max compression will take sumbstantially longer than normal compression because of the high amount of overhead to do the compresion. It should be used only if file space is at a real premium.

5. peter_nn

> Generally, max compression will take sumbstantially longer than normal compression

I doubt compression level causes this, acc. to my experience it doesn't matter at all. Not sure what sort of compression ATI uses , but the differences in image size and backup time are very small between normal and max compression. I used max compression this time to be sure image will fit on 2 DVD's, otherwise I use normal compression, but the result is almost the same.

I wonder if image splitting can cause this, I always select image to be created in 700 MB chunks. I do this because in the past I had tons of problems with big image files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.