What ?????

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Albinoni, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

2. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

that test has been around for a long time, and runs a series of technical tests to gauge a firewall's abilities to block malware. Its not tested on real malware, and generally real malware isn't as strong as some of these technical tests, although they could use similar methods at any time. Leak-testing is only one criteria for a firewall - other things include resource usage, compatibility with other apps and so on. That website has a link to the actual tests that he used, which you can try for yourself.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

All those tests are one thing: to see how your system behaves if infected. Most of these tests show how vulnerable Windows is and how it can be used to bypass the security installed in it. Which figures kind of ...

I think they do not contribute much. Do not get infected and you won't have to worry about leaks. But if you are uber-anal and fear you might get inadvertently infected - in which case you want to make sure your pc does not leak ...

Still, it's a paradoxal situation.

Mrk

4. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi Albinoni :)

Many poeple expect too much from a firewall: a kind of big patch to fix the bad job done by the Billoos's BoyZ ...

Many leak tests used Windows internals vulnerabilities which are not related to internet connections and packet filtering. A firewall is one layer of protection device and nothing more. (Except for some All-in-one swiss knife style...)

For example:

CopyCat used "process injection", Wall Braker is a InterNUT Expl'horror :gack: launcher, PC Audit a DLL injector, DNS Tester used the DNS client service (which have to be disabled actually!), and so on...

Where are the TCP-IP related tests here? Nowhere. This is a set of Microsoft Windows vulnerabilities testers. Period.

This is a job for a HIPS ... and (SURE !) for the poeple of M$, not a firewall.

Matousec tests are funny since they prove that somethings is wrong in the basic concept of Microsoft Windows itself...

I have a challenge for any volunteers: try to reproduce an equivalent set of tests with a Linux (Unix clone) or MacOS (BSD Unix based) ...

Did MS change this with Vista? Absolutly not Gentlemen!

Poeple want All-in-one security suite to protect them against the failure of the Operating System they are using.

(And why not sending the invoice of your "all-in-one suite" to Bill and Balmer ?)

That's funny. Why don't change for something else ?

I'm somewhat fed-up with all MS stuff. I've some itchings...

Have a nice day.
    :)

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Nice comprehensive reply Climenole, you're correct in implying that there is more to what contributes to a good firewall, but nevertheless, the leaktests are still an indication of how well firewalls protect the PC at the end of the day.

It may be considered a job for HIPS, but certain firewalls are still managing to integrate the feature into the firewall which further strengthens them nontheless.

Basically, its not a test which you can solely look at and tell which is the best firewall, just an indication.

6. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi dawgg :)

and this also an indication that your Operating System is not a trustable place as much as Internet...

However , I agree with you that many FW (including my favourite one) have to be more secure for "inside threats"...

That's right.

Exact, but for many poeple these Leaks Tests are now the only criteria for a firewall choice...

Hmmmm...

A New Generation Firewall ? :rolleyes:

The New, Exiting and Enhanced Anti-PEBKAC FW !

To protect interNUTs against their own stupidity? Hmmm :cautious:

May be, may be... That's give me an idea to be a Zillionaire very fast! :eek:

:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.