What to select when backing up entire hard drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Sirhiggins, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirhiggins

Sirhiggins Registered Member

I want to do a complete hard drive back up of a new Dell computer right out of the box. When using the wizard, I need to check the box that will backup the entire hard drive. With that window open under wizard, which box should I check, it offers me the following under MY Computer....Basic Hard Disk, First Hard Disk Tract, MAster Boot Record, Local Disk, Recovery Disk (D:), and OS (C:).

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Select Basic Hard Disk.

This should include First Hard Disk Track, Master Boot Record (MBR) and the three partitions in the disk. "Local Disk" is the diagnostics partition, Recovery Disk is the partition with the image to restore the factory configuration, and OS is the boot partition that contains Windows. Verify that all this is checked.

If you eventually restore this image, the diagnostics partition (first partition) may not work.

3. WillyK

WillyK Registered Member

Curious, as to why the diagnostic partition would not work?

... Bill

4. Sirhiggins

Robin,

Your Statement "If you eventually restore this image, the diagnostics partition (first partition) may not work." How can I then do a backup so that I can restore my computer to it's original state? I am backing up to an Ext. hard drive(Maxtor).

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Oem recovery partitions will sometimes use odd partition types/structures to hide/protect them.

The oem might have an app. to update the CHS values in the partition table after restore if you need it.

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It is not very important to have an operating diagnostic partition. Diagnostics can be run from a boot CD.

But if the program used to create the image identifies corectly the partition, it should work after a restore. I thought the the diagnostics partition was "special" but maybe this is not so, it is a FAT 16 partition.

In previous Dell models there were also problems with the Recovery partition, but this has apparently changed in the recent models.

7. Sirhiggins

Well I did get an email back from Paragon and here is what they recommend...

Private communication removed per the TOS. Feel free to use you own words for the recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.