What to Include in a Homegrown

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattyl, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattyl

mattyl Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post as my question is not really a poll but rather a request for a "poll of advice". It's also not security related either but since many of you are so great and know so much about computers I thought I'd give it a try - sorry if this is completely in the wrong area.

I've recently researched the idea about building a computer myself. My family is looking to add another computer to the household for secondary use when the main computer is in use. It would be used primarily for email purposes and for HW, letters, etc when the main computer is in use.

Is it possible to build a fairly inexpensive computer that would be sufficient for the tasks mentioned?

It would also need wireless capabilities as the cable modem on the main computer is down stairs so we'd have to get a router and network adapter (It's possible to supply two PC's with one router right?) I've never built a computer before but have been reading up on it and it seems like if you get the right hardware, putting it together isn't so bad. I'm very confused on what hardware I need though as I'm not sure what would be sufficient enough to do the tasks mentioned. Could anyone add a bit of advice as to what type of processor, motherboard, memory, etc would do a very good job in completing such tasks? (Although we'd like to keep it as cheap as possible we do want it to be able to do such tasks quickly - not lightning speed but well ... you know what I mean) Thanks to anyone who may have any advice or an opinion!!

Regards,
    Mattyl

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

It's quite easy, building a system.

Do specify the acceptable noise level. Get a case and a low noise power supply. A good quality case enables you to fit everything without may tools.
    Pick your motherboard based on your preferred processor. Can't recommend one without that choice. Get an AMD for low priced systems (decent processors Athlon < 2.4 ghz, decent mobo by ecs, shuttle) and pick a low noise cooler (spire whisperrock is very affordable). This combination leads to your required memory modules. Current type is DDR.

3. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Associations can be funny...
    When seeing the title of this thread I immediately thought about "marihuana".
    Hm... what does this say about me...? :p ;) :D

(-Back to topic-)
    Hope you'll fabricate the best 'homegrown' you can imagine,
    and then ...relax;)

regards,
    Slammer

4. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hi Mattyl......this may be of help.....i would like to find a step by step video with nothing left out..... http://www.mysuperpc.com/ ..... anyone know of one ?

5. Rainwalker

6. mattyl

mattyl Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the responses guys.

Very helpful links Rainwalker! Especially the first link with the items and links where to buy them!

Meneer - so pick the processor I'd like and go from there? Seems like everything falls into place once I pick a processor.

Slammer - wasn't even thinking that when i posted the title...... haha

thanks guys,
    mattyl

7. Rainwalker

I think the components @ Super PC are rather dated.......i think,,, .....all will work fine but if you.........

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Yep.
    The processor defines the motherboard choice and memory type.
    Motherboard defines folowing choices: hard disk interface (IDE, Serial ATA), onboard / optional lan, sound, video and the size of the case (atx, microatx).

9. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Will you let me know when you find out? I thought of marijuana, too, and never heard the term used in any other way...or perhaps, my insufficient remaining brain cells didn't find it interesting enough to remember in any other context. <sigh> I've read something in another thread that makes me feel almost matronly, except my plan was to skip that stage!. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.