What the Hell!!!????

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kensaundm31, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kensaundm31

kensaundm31 Registered Member

I got a fake av virus, where it pretends that it is a virus scanner, it stops you running any files or loading any websites.

So I couldnt run taskman, but i re-booted and loaded it before the fake av virus ran.

I could see what the file was in taskman:

xnfqrddtssd.exe and it is in
    \Documents and Settings\Kenny\Local Settings\Application Data\aqpotpder

So I deleted it mannually. It screwed up internet explorer so I had to do a full reset.

This begs the question: Why pay eset money for a program that doesn't work?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. piranha

piranha Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

this begs the question ; Why did you get a fake AV when you already have one ? Did you dowloaded and installed it by yourself ? Where and what did you click for it ?? Did you did a virus scan at a not well known AV web site o_O?

:rolleyes:

It is so easy to blame nod32 but the user can sometimes be his (or its !) bad enemy, for himself and for his security tools !!

:cautious: o_O :blink:

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  4. kensaundm31

I did a goole search on:

Ride - Goldrush - A Fine Frenzy

Then opened a new tab on some mp3 link and it automatically loaded itself into memory.

I did a scan with nod32 and it happily informed me that my system was clean.

I've already un-installed it. I will try something else. I'm not going to pay someone to not do something i can do myself in 3mins.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Then your going to be a wanderer. Because ALL the Av vendors hare having a problem with them.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

7. kensaundm31

Thanks for the link, that host file is pretty good.

I've decided to try malwarebytes. The ip adress blocking is happening every few seconds. ive checked some of the numbers it blocs and they do appear to be supicious,. Whereas nod32 used to block something once every 3 years.

Im probably being a bit hard on eset but I just got realy irritated when my system was completely unusesable and it was telling me everything was fine.

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

It's tougher for Eset than it appears. These fake AV pop-ups have proven difficult for legit AV makers to stop. One method I have found that is more succesful is to run something like Sandboxie along with your AV. The sandbox approach isolates Windows and prevents the inadvertant infection. I had a friend just yesterday that ran into one of these. He closed the sandbox and all was just as clean as before he started...

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc512587(en-us).aspx
    Malware - what now?
    * save data (copy documents, music aso., create image/backup...)

* insert Windows-CD/DVD, reboot
    * format windows partition with that cd/dvd
    * reinstall windows from scratch
    * install all windows updates
    (or use a clean backup/image instead)

* use a secure browser
    * install only programs from trustable sources
    * revise your security concept
    * change all passwords at trojan infections
    * dont work as admin

11. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

use sandboxie along w/ your AV ... and make sure you setup sandboxie to have dropped rights. It's just too sad that AV's are losing the battle w/ regard to fake av's

12. piranha

piranha Registered Member

No AV is 100% perfect. As said here, add a sandbox or Mamutu and never work and browse as admin

See also these new security tools......

http://www.softsphere.com/

http://www.shadowdefender.com/

DefenseWall has been tested here by av-comparatives.org
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/single-product-reviews

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  13. kensaundm31

thanks for the info.

That sandbox looks pretty good. I'll have a look at that

I also use keyscrambler whenever i log into my online bank account. So even if i am compromised they wont get my password.

14. Skywolfe

Skywolfe Registered Member

umm in that case you can usually just reformat and reinstall. and yes change the way you do things. security programs can only do so much a lot of it still relies on the user in general. get firefox and also get adblock plus. a sandbox only works for 32 bit systems not for 64 bit that I have found out anyway. for example. Kasperskh has the sanbox feature. but it DOESN'T WORK on a 64 bit computer. new types of viruses come out all the time and no program is ever perfect but if you can do a submission to eset of what was found that will help them in the future.

15. sunoracle

sunoracle Registered Member

I use MBAM and it only blocks an IP once in a while for me. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your usage of the Internet if you're trying to access these types of sites every few seconds?

You can certainly give up on Eset and move to some other vendors AV software. But it's quite likely that it will have flaws too, perhaps ones that Eset does not have. So I don't think that you'll really gain anything in the end. Will you then give up on that AV software if it misses something? You could wind up playing musical chairs with AV software.

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

So why "PAY" for Eset if it needs so much helpo_O Just use a freebie that gives you just as good protection!

17. Skywolfe

no free program will give as good of protection as a paid product will. they are free for a reason. while there are some programs that are good out there? they will always miss things that are usually caught in paid versions.

18. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Crap-crud... I'd put MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) or the free version of AVG or Avira against Macafee or Norton (although I've heard the newer/est versions of Norton are a lot better) any day...

19. Skywolfe

not necessaraly I will give you an example of a free product verses the exact same produict under a psid version. when I ran windows xp I used avast for years until I got a computer that it wouldn't run on so I used avg free for a while. WHILE I HAD AVG FREE I had problems from antivirus 2009 sometimes. that were caught instantly when I got the paid version. just because something is free doesn't necessaraly mean it is a better product. I have tried out all kinds of different products over the years. also most of the computer techs I have talked to will tell you the same thing. truth be told. products that are paid will usualy be better. sometimes one will pick up what others don't but I have had nothing slip through even with the security I have now that even goes detected by spybot. would I use free programs? yes. but would I trust them for antivirus programs? unless it is something like avast? highly doubtfull.

with that also being said... just because you have a certain security program on your computer doesn't mean that is absolutely secure from everything. antivirus programs are a security step in prevention and detection in the case something gets in. but it WILL NOT protect you from something you let in. now Eset is different in that respect. if you download something that is viral it will detect it in the download process where as alot of others won't.

20. tanstaafl

Irrelevant - you said *always*, and that is just pure crap, because it *depends*...

Yes, because the paid version of AVG is a SUITE, that has more/different types of protection. Appleas & grapefruit...

I'm not the one that made a blanket claim...

I'd much rather have a paid version of ESET over a free version of anything else - but I'd much rather have a free version of MSE or AVG or Avira than a paid version of Macafee or Norton...

This is self-evident to any rational being.

21. tanstaafl

Rather than just using a static hosts file, you're better off with something like spywareblaster, that updates the hosts file all the time with new known bad guys...

22. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

hosts file is periodically updated by the its maintainer like mvps or hpguru's hosts file editions

23. tanstaafl

Nothing on that page indicates as much...

Regardless, I prefer my trusty, tried and true spywareblaster... but to each his/her own... :)

24. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

it is not the matter to use one or the other or to be on its own. Use both, one or the other or even none but be safe :)

check the update dates
    http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

25. Skywolfe

no it isn't. avg has internet security as well as just the anvitirus program the same as most vendors do. the one I had was the antivirus not the internet security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.