What should you do?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Marja, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

What should you do if your computer says it is not connected, but, your phone line says otherwise and you are online at Wilders'?

A) Hang up real quick?
    B) Wait to see the phone bill?
    C) Blame it on the cat?
    D) All of the above?

This is because that is what is happening to me right now - and I don't know what to do?
    I tried to disconnect the phone, but, it's still open connection, computer is on-line, AVG got rid of a trojan today, I thought!?!o_O

I am trying to remain calm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2. Marja

I am hoping it is something dumb I did, so you can still answer the poll. :)o_O

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

The only answer I can give is A. Though I am not connecting via dial-up the only thing I can guess you have a dialer on your machine. I would pull the tel.plug and do a scan in safe mod. Maybe I am tottally wrong so I hope an expert will advise you.
    Just my €0.02

Gerard

4. Marja

Figured it out, reading a post about USBs. And yes, I could have turned the computer off!! What fun is that??:(

POLL CLOSED FROM LACK OF INTEREST

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

bah - lack of interest in 30 minso_O

Anway - you have it all under control now or do you need some help?

If the former - good work!!

If the latter - let us know!!

6. Marja

I am not positive - earlier I went through AdAware, Spybot, AVG scans, plus TDS3, BUT I just red/l'd TDS and am trying to catch up with what all it can do and what I should set it to do.
    Hey I got a new printer! Yea, I read a thread about USB's, that's when I remembered something about this brand of printer always calling home, all my other printers turn off, this one doesn't.:(
    So, that might have been it, as for my computer saying it isn't connected? It has went from ok to bad since I d/l'd SP2. Guess I have alot of homework to do, I waited and heard very little bad, so I d/l'd it.

Thanks guys, it would have bugged my not knowing, now I can pretend I know - til tomorrow anyway.:)

Yeah, it was just too easy to turn it off, what can I say??

Marja:cool:

Thank you, Gerardwil and Detox!!

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

err... remove the wire? (from modem)
    That wuda' been my poll answer. 'coz then you wuda been able to analyze w/o worrying abt. the phone bill
    Anyway... what has the world come to, when a PRINETR is SPYWARE, phoning home... :(
    Maybe we should all know the brand, eh?

8. Marja

I would like to make sure AND find the article before I malign someone's brand name!

What reminded me of the article was a post in "other security issues" about USBs by Ronjor. That's a good place to start no13, from there I went to a discussion at Net-Integration Forums -> New Type Of "startup" Item Encountered
    [ http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=14598&hl= ], hope that keeps you busy til I find out! :)P.S. Read sloooow :) :)

Cheers!

9. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

nice forum
    nice article
    But no usb there.

10. Marja

HI! No13, the USB thread is at Wilders' in Other Security Issues, a link to ZDNet by Ronjor is posted there.

I really should read the whole instruction booklet that comes with these gadgets!!

I just got a photo printer by HP that is stand-alone and works with your computer. It wanted to be registered and wanted to upload pictures, though I didn't give it any (gotta feed them tooo_O), to a website for Instant Picture Share, did not know about that little goodie. Not crazy about it either!!

So, it was keeping the phone line open, since it was in one of the USBs, hooked up to the computer, and someone didn't check to see if it automatically turned it self off (NO). Suffering from ink bloat, it decided it wouldn't let any one do anything they wanted. If it was suffering from picture withdrawal, we all wouldo_O

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.