What should a great suite of.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Most say the spam portion and parental controls are waste items. So tell me exactly what you would want, from the perfect suite. Capibilities, features, etc. You create it, and Antivir will build it.:) Seriously let me know what the basic but needed suite would have.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

There's no such thing as a perfect suite. They shuold be avoided. Instead, trust that the user is not an idiot and can manage different application, which combined offer better protection that a suite could even dream of. Case and point: LnS + NOD32 or LnS + Dr. Web = Better than any suite, both in terms of protection and system resource usage.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

agreed! nod32 rocks! and so does dr web. i dont like the interface of drweb but its a damn good av anyway.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

personally a suite 'should' be (but not always is)

antivirus with rootkit detection
    firewall with intrusion detection and stealth module
    antispyware with real time scanning
    http scanning
    heuristics

spam and parental control are not needed, but email scanning is needed.

f-secure 2007 have figured this out with parental control PEFECTLY, they give the option to install without it during installation, and without it chosen, no "at risk" or "parental control is turned off", this is perfect and all suites should have this option in their installation too.

a perfect suite for me, would be:

norton 2007 interface
    kaspersky antivirus engine
    outpost 4 firewall
    nod32 heuristics
    panda TruPrevent behaviour blocking etc (cant remember the exact term)
    panda's scanning speed
    trend micro spyware engine
    avg's boot up time
    bitdefender 10's ram usage

now if anyone wants to create this suite for me, let me know when and let me know the price *lol*

sounds good though yeah? :thumb:

dare to dream?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure 2007 never gave me the option to not install the parental control during install it just installed it all. how come?

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Like it or not, you folks are the experts and the minority. As Don with Kas said, most are going to be looking for the one all, do all, because they dont know about the word layered. Which leads me to another thread, on firewalls for the minority.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its an option that when installing f-secure internet security 2007, after the first or 2nd screen, its near the start of the installation, it will say:

install f-secure internet security with parental control (at the top, this option is set as default, if you dont read.. it will use this one)

the bottom one says, install f-secure internet security 2007 without parental control, fantastic :)

and when you select that, you dont get it and the program doesnt even mention it, no red status or its turned off bla bla bla.

perfect, all suites should include that exact feature in their installations, as some people will want it but alot wont in my opinion, with the way f-secure 2007 has done it, everyone is happy. :thumb:

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

also dream suite would be as follows,

nod32's heuristics
    kaspersky's fast signature updates
    kaspersky web scanner the one in the mp1 beta that dont slow down internet.
    nod32's scan speed
    antivir's umbrella icon.
    yahoos anti spam (can decide not to install)
    no parental control.
    spysweeper's spyware detection
    look n stop firewall.
    only two processes.

lodore

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  9. n8chavez

Learn from others' mistakes. Very few companies have been able to design that perfect all-in-one suite With the exception of, maybe KIS, every other company has failed. Just ask those that know what good software is, they'll verify this. My advice, stick to what seems to be working for you and concentrate on improving that. Don't spread you attention and efforts too thing in hopes of creating the perfect software. It cannot be done. This is not a one size fits all world.

Nate

10. n8chavez

Oh but there are....(see here)

The doctor will see you now.

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, that doesnt looks good, i didnt know that.

also, as a perfect suite... lodore didnt have a firewall :eek:

12. ejr

ejr Registered Member

My Ultimate security suite has:

1. Antivirus with Heuristics/Signiature combo. Must get VB100 award and do well on AV Comparatives.

2. Firewall with HIPS. The firewall should pass all leak tests. The HIPS should cover entry point vectors and processes/executeables.

3. Virtualization. At a minimum, it should give an option to run the browser in a sandbox.

Kind of like running NOD32/System Safety Monitor/Sand Boxie/Comodo Firewall all together.

13. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

NOT an expert here. Wouldn't actually want a "suite". Avira personal edition would be perfect for me if it included pop3. (currently use and very much like Avast)
    Would rather have a few stand-alone applications, not "tied together". If one vendor could provide that, and each application was dedicated, with it's own development and support, but "played well" with the others, I think that would have a lot of appeal.
    And if it was free, I'd buy it!

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Well for me Grisoft and Avira have exactly what i need. An all in one suite with firewall, antivirus & antimalware protection that doesn't bog my system down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.