What protection & security software u install in iPhone 6s?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jun 8, 2016.

1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Just curious what's in it w/ ur iPhone 6s if we talk security and protection.

I know many would say it doesn't need antivirus coz its a different breed compared to Android phones, but still I want to know your honest opinion and advice.

Tnx....

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There is no need to install security software on an iPhone, and not much need for it on Android phones.

3. sweater

How bout VPN? coz some would say many WI-FI hotspots are not safe. What free vpn can u possibly recommend...coz there are many in their appstore but couldn't decide yet coz I was worried that it might pose some problems rather than solutions. Some says its tricky. Even if wi-fi are secured it would always detects as not secure.

I was thinking of the new free Avast SecureMe apps for iPhone.

What can you say on that?

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Two things which have nothing common.

As regards security and protection of an iOS device, I second Roger. Apple's ecosystem is completely different to Android. Actually you cannot get infected iPhone in the manner being known from Android or Win. AV vendors are well aware of this fact and if you look at all security solutions, no one has a real AV engine under the hood.

Concerning a VPN, regardless of operating system and device on which is installed, you can do nothing than to rely it is secured. You have to understand that this is a communication tunnel that can be also exploited, intentionally or unintentionally. Perhaps a VPN from AV vendor might be safer than other ones but it doesn't necessarily mean that this AV vendor doesn't purposely monitor your communication for their purposes. Choice is yours.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Apple does not allow antivirus (AV) type apps on the App Store. Several mobile anti-malware makers make products offered on the App Store but they aren't AV. Here's Lookout's iOS offering. Note no AV! https://www.lookout.com/iphone

And like mentioned above, there appears to be little that an AV type app can do on Android. AV apps on Android can scan for items that have already been installed on the phone and may be able to clean up the problem after the fact. But this is not ideal and not what we are used to for Windows.

6. sweater

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Useless application as far as security is concerned, IMO. Most of the features bring nothing more than you can get by other means.

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have 3 or 4 that tell me things about connectivity, battery condition, memory, etc. But I have no security software of any kind on my iPhone. IMO, the only security thing we can all do that is truly beneficial is to keep the OS updated. Which right now is, version 9.3.2.

9. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

More on AV/scanning potential:

"iOS [9] apps are not permitted to see what other apps are running"
    PDF: http://devstreaming.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/703kp2dwbwkr/703/703_privacy_and_your_app.pdf?dl=1

"Unfortunately due to limitations Apple has placed on apps on the iOS platform Lookout Mobile Security for consumers is not able to detect whether you have an infected app installed in iOS 9"
    https://blog.lookout.com/blog/2015/09/21/xcodeghost-apps/

That basically leaves enterprise solutions, namely iOS Mobile Device Management or inline AV proxies like zScaler.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.