What is Your View of Windows 8?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Brandonn2010, Jul 5, 2013.

?

What is Your View of Windows 8?

1. I love it!

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. I like it

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. It's okay

11 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. I don't like it

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  5. I hate it!

20 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. x942

x942 Guest

keep in mind I am an avid linux user so this is somewhat biased

1. Stability and general business.
    *Amazing. This is the first Windows version that has not crashed on me. No BSOD so far even with my massive tweaking. Even windows 7 eventually BSODed on me. Drivers install quickly and seemed to recognize everything properly, even some weird hardware I threw at it - Smart Card Reader from XP era is a good example. Windows 7 wouldn't see it but 8 sees it immediately.

2. Ease-of-use.
    *It's windows. I personally find it clunky as I am the type of person that uses the CLI for almost everything. But as a GUI it is nice, feels good like 7 did. Not much to complain about. I used a surface pro for a month or two and metro works well here. I dislike it with the mouse but you do get used to it after a while.

3. Compare to XP and/or 7.
    * Way smoother then 7. Feels lightweight like XP did back in the day. I love this. The eye-candy doesn't get in the way as much as it did in 7.

4. Hardware support.
    *Better than 7 in my experience. Lacking with some devices. For example if I plug in my android phone windows 8 fails to see it, even though it use MTP (a MS technology if I am not mistaken) but my Linux box recognizes it immediately no need to download drivers.

5. Program support/compatibility.
    * Everything works. No bugs. Wish Truecrypt supported it though.

6. Anything else relevant.
    * Overall good experience. Some minor draw backs but for my usage (Visual Studio and video production) all works as expected. I bought it for $40 and use it for those two things only.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So thats a positive review coming from a Linux user. Good

3. x942

x942 Guest

:thumb: I have to say I have used every windows version since 95 and this is probably my favorite version. I mean I do bring back the start right away as I dislike metro interface for mousing around but the new search is quick, find apps instantly. It's stable as I said, and finds almost everything I through at it hardware wise. Gaming runs well too in my brief testing :)

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm looking at buying a cheap tablet soon and installing Windows 8 on it, to see how it fares with a touchscreen.

5. x942

x942 Guest

I would stay away from anything Atom based. They are terrible with windows 8. If you go cheaper you may want to stick to RT to get a smooth experience still. i3 at the lowest on the intel side. IMO.

6. roger_m

Most definitely, from my experience with them they are slow for Windows 7 too. I'm going to be buying an older machine with a Core 2 Duo probably - not exceptionally fast, but more than fast enough to run Windows 8 quickly.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

You always go the cheap way Roger. :D

8. roger_m

Mostly, lol. While I want a Windows tablet to try Windows 8 on, I am quite happy with my current laptops. Because of this, I don't want to spend much on a tablet - it will be something to mess around with, but will not replace my current laptops. If I was buying a new tablet, I would probably only by a Lenovo one, and it's $699 for an Atom powered one, which would be too slow for me.

9. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

It's refreshing to read a positive review on Windows 8. I mostly agree to what you said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.