What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hey Securon,
    Reason for removing MBAM Pro, if you don't mind?
    TY

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Securon changes his setup as often as his socks so don't take it personally....

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, I recall seeing him post on this thread a time or two previously. And I appreciate his opinion.

4. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Hi...Page 42. Used to be a previous user of EAM...heard it was quicker scanning...and a little lighter. Now in all fairness I've just installed the latest version of EAM...but the scan's are very quick...and it doesn't seem to affect system performance. But as far as Protection is concerned MBAM is certainly the equal of EAM...that's why I purchased a lifetime license. So I'll report back in a couple of weeks...provided the Socks hold up...Lol! Sincerely...Securon

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Very happy with this setup:

RT: Sandboxie
    RT: VoodooShield Pro
    RT: Adguard Premium
    CryptoPrevent Implementation
    AOMEI OneKey Recovery
    Windows Firewall + NAT, Windows SmartScreen
    OD: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    LastPass, Random Agent Spoofer, OpenDNS

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, Securon. I'll keep an eye out for your report. ;)

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I will disagree here cause MBAM has no behavior blocker.....
    So, if MBAM has no signature for malware it will bypass it.

8. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Siketa! That's why I use WSA Security Plus...as a layered app that compliments MBAM. I'm obviously aware of MBAM not having a behaviour blocker! Sincerely...Securon

9. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

My two bits worth from the flooded lands of North Texas.....WSA Complete. My socks are holding securon!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  10. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

On several occasions I've seen MBAM PRO with its real time malware detection enabled catch a few nasties sliding through the glass door before EAM flinched. I know. Slippery slope statement-- sure. In MBAM's absence, EAM would've detected/blocked the malicious websites in question. Or would it? :cool:

11. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Does Avast Free include any kind of "behavior blocker"?

12. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Neither Avast free nor paid has any kind of BB.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Actually, they had a Behaviour Shield (now integrated into File System Shield), which I believe was replaced by DeepScreen.

14. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

What I've read about it - by functionality BS is not BB.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  15. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

My setup has not changed for a while. See my signature. I have trialed other combinations and other software, but still i come to this one. Very light, Very strong and hassle free. I must admit, using these it is very much aimed at the first line of defense, HMPA, Ublock dynamic filtering and Chrome's own mitigation techniques. If something were to get through I have ERP in lockdown mode, password protected and setup so that ERP makes no distinction between a signed or unsigned process, and processes with revoked certificates are also blocked. When in doubt Macrium will save the day.

This exact combination has been stress tested in a virtual machine, albeit testing against HMPA is difficult. Chrome, ublock and ERP performed perfectly individually and in combination.

Think I am finally happy with my security, if thats possible for us members. Just need to add a Vpn.

regards.

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

My current setup that doesn't change much:
    • Windows 8.1 x64
    • Router with NAT and Windows FW
    • Macrium Reflect 5.3 Standard
    • SRP and UAC on max
    • Google Chrome x64 with uBlock Origin

17. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Don't forget your tinfoil hat :thumb:

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

My current config.
    • No anti-virus installed.
    • Firefox with noscript and adguard extensions
    • Linux firewall enabled.
    Im considering installing apparmor.
    No problems to report so far.

Im keeping it lean and mean lol.:)

19. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

As well as unplugging the computer from the socket when not in use lol. :doubt:

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

21. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, by mistake I read "Mo Money", a movie I saw a couple of days ago. I also don't like to spend a lot of money on security software, but if there is no better freeware available, and a lifetime license is offered, I don't mind spending a few bucks. On the other hand, if apps are really good, they are sometimes worth a yearly fee.

~ Removed OT Link ~

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  22. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

On my Vista laptop...F-Secure Safe Internet Security...On demand,Malwarebytes & Hitman Pro...Also got my S5 in on the act I like it so much.

23. StillBorn

I could stroll back a thousand pages in this thread to get a hint but instead shoot from the hip and inquire if there's ever been a poll taken on how many Wilders members use Shadow Defender? Wow, this thread is so truly massive and informative. And yet I'm a bit baffled why so many members here would not employ an app like SD. If I was OCD enough to bother from page one of this thread and tally the numbers I'll wager less than 25% of all Wilders members did at one point or still do include SD as a defense mechanism. Given the lifetime license option at a fraction of what one would pay for a "suite" nowadays; the sheer simplicity of how to use it; and its incontrovertible effectiveness as a whole, one would expect to see 80% usage amongst Wilders members or better. In retrospect, I'm beginning to see how the prevailing arguments against using SD would make perfect sense. 1.) It's frightfully troublesome and confusing to reboot a computer// well, there is that. 2.) Discarding all changes to the hard drive may cause panic and hysteria// well, better call Saul or switch from jazz (Brand X) to classical (omitting Gustav Mahler and Richard Strauss) :D

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@StillBorn I've never used Shadow Defender, or anything similar. I had Returnil Virtual System installed a few years back when I got for free as a giveaway, but not once did I actually use it.

I'm sure Shadow Defender is an excellent product, but I don't think it would be of use to me, considering that I install new software just about every day. So, quite often I've made changes to the system that I want kept when I reboot. I'm sure it would be useful for those who don't constantly change their setup. But personally, I'm not happy unless I constantly trying new stuff.

25. StillBorn

On the other hand (avatars notwithstanding), SD would be just what the doctor ordered in the event of an install that went really, really ugly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.