What is the purpose of such "right click menu"?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by cerBer, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

In my understanding, right click menu should offer something useful - that is, reduce mouse clicks for some frequently used, or, possibly urgently required options.

In v2.7 right click menu did not exist. In v3 it exists, but is it any useful?
    Three listed display options are not anything one would change often, and would better belong in setup window. "Open window" command is also almost useless, because it simply mirrors double click.

Of course, the most useful right-click option of ANY AV is "disable" or "exit". But knowing Eset's employees hereditary hypersensitivity to anything like that, OK, -
    Why it is not possible to assign to right-click, for example, different important setup items, manual scan, manual update, log viewer, or anything useful, instead of utterly useless options, like it is now?

Thanks.

2. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

:( I do miss the right click to 'shut down' the program. :(

3. IPSEC

IPSEC Registered Member

Right click to shut down program is more than a niceity - many software installations request the install take place w/o anti-v active. This is particulary crucial with respect to complex software installs such as ProTools or Avid. Request this capability be restored.o_O (Is there a place to request stuff? Apologies in advance but I can't find it.)

4. IPSEC

IPSEC Registered Member

Sent request regarding temporarily disabling A/V to ESET who kindly responded as follows:

You don't really need to disable ESET NOD32 Antivirus (ENA) in order to install new software or drivers. ENA cooperates smoothly with everything so it would be safe to keep ENA running in the background.

However, here are the steps to disable ENA if you want.

1. Open ENA by clicking the icon in your Windows system tray.

2. Toggle Standard to Advanced mode (CTRL + M).

3. Go to Setup > Antivirus and antispyware. In the right click "Temporarily disable antivirus and antispyware protection".
    ;)

5. Vicky1

Vicky1 Registered Member

I always wonder when I see such foolish mistakes by companies like this. A average programmer with 100 IQ could decide to have better right click menu.

2 cents.

6. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

Great! Hope you know what you are saying.

It is not a foolish mistake. Try developing something, and you will see.

7. Vicky1

Vicky1 Registered Member

I understand what you mean. But there is something called "profession" -- development is not my profession, so I (and a first time developer) can be forgiven to do such stupid mistakes .. but if a professional do, I don't think it should be ignored.

I am not talking about bugs, bugs are something different .. I am talking about obvious things which are done intentionally, and they turn out as wth? ..

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It seems like we are becoming bloated Norton with all these crappy bells and whistles ... :mad: Who needs "Advanced options" in context menu and now even more - nothing but stupid right clicking the icon options . ESET , have a look at other players' histrories and you'll understand this is wrong direction

9. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I agree with you totally. With my other programs that show on my taskbar you can do all kinds of things through right click. Which makes using the program easier. Eset could have easiley left it of completely because it doesn't have any purpose at the moment. I think this is one area where Eset has taken step back.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'm sure I won't be speaking for myself only, it's been a wish of many users to have advanced context menu options. For me this will be probably the most appreciated feature that will be added and that will make my work more faster. If you don't need the advanced options, just don't right-click the icon in the system tray.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , and many people use Norton .
    Forget it , you have already done it , what can I change ?!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007
  12. Marcos

Simply don't right-click the ESS/EAV icon in the system tray. I don't see a reason why someone would mind it. I don't care what context menu the other programs I have in my system tray show since I don't click the icons I don't need to work with.

13. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Making a right click menu is probably one of the easiest tasks a programmer has to do. No lie.

14. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Agreed, so it should be just as easy to include an option not to show it at all, like the god awful NOD32 icon in Oulook Express. ( i know that they are planning to enable us to hide that in O.E.) ;)

15. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

If I understand correctly, HiTech_boy was talking about context menu when you right click on the file. It contains "advanced options" tab, which (he is absoulutely right here), is quite useless, and is "bloating" the context menu - very annoying.

Actions "clean, submit to analysis, quarantine" normally would not make any sense to perform before file is scanned. So, the right place for such options would be scan screen, which, according to scan results should display options like clean, submit for analysis or ignore or exclude.
    I didn't think right click tray menu would be possible to call bloating. At worst, it could be called cluttering maybe. That is, if registry keys would stay after uninstall. But, as during uninstall Eset even removes own protection keys (absolutely unique behaviour, worth a monument or something), I have no reason to suspect them in anything like that.

16. Vicky1

Vicky1 Registered Member

yes, but programmer must have an IQ above 100 to make that "right click menu" usable. ;)

17. Marcos

I thought we were speaking about the system tray icon context menu :) As for the context menu, the following version will allow you to disable integration. Would you welcome if advanced options were optional? If so and the user disabled it, I assume there would be a problem cleaning files from within the context menu if a threat was found during a scan.

18. Vicky1

Vicky1 Registered Member

yes, I was talking about the same.

Yes, I'd welcome it.

In fact, IMO, every (especially security related) software should have two mods .. Novice Mode, and Advanced Mode.

19. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

Now, if we are talking about context menu (that is when you right click on file or folders), I don't think there is a need to really disable integration. Context menu has always been there, it is there for almost any antivirus, so is there really need tomake it optional?

As for the advanced options, I think they should not be there at all, optional or not.

Why would one want to clean file, submit it to Eset, or quarantine, if it is even not yet scanned?
    And, after the file is scanned, it would be more logical to have those options in scan window, rather than in explorer context menu. If NOD shows file infected, you do not want to write down filename, close window, go back to explorer right click on file, select advanced options and then choose action.
    Obviously better to do it in scan window, by right clicking on filename there (all the suspicious files will be listed!)!

What remains is:
    1. what to do if I want to quarantine file which is not detected by NOD as infection. Obviously, I will not want to quarantine it, because I will want to re-scan it later or submit to some online scanner, but there is no such option in quarantine folder. I will probably zip it and password protect. There may be people who don't know how to zip a file, but they are also unlikely to figure out which file they would want to quarantine. So, no such entry needed in context menu.

2. What if file is not detected, but I still want to submit it for analysis to Eset. Probably better option than using context menu, would be the traditional approach - zip it and email. That would give an opportunity to submit it also to other AV vendors or scan services.

So, I do not see anything at all that could not be easily done without that "advanced" menu. Additionally, if "advanced" menu is really intended for undetected "suspicious" files, why not introduce detection by file name? Say, add extension .nod32 to file (like, programname.exe.nod32) and NOD32 would automatically "know" that this is a user defined suspicious file, which needs to be rescanned, submitted, quarantined etc.

20. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

With the release of 3.0.621, looks as though our prayers have finally been heard - the right click menu on the system tray icon with advanced contexts is here. :thumb:

21. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

What I want in the right click menu is to disable, exit etc
    some categories of programs "demand" exiting anti-virus programs.
    video editing for one, they are very memory intensive indeed.

And yes, there are programs to tell you to stop anti-virus programs before those programs are installed..

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

While there is not a full "exit" option anywhere in EA or ESS, they do have the right-click systray menu option to disable the antivirus (and in ESS, a separate option to disable the firewall), which does stop the on-access protection...

[​IMG]

23. Joan Archer

Joan Archer Registered Member

Well I've never found the need to disable my AV while installing or updating anything, which I think say's a lot for NOD32 being the best AV to have. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.