What is the importance of keeping firewalls updated?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by The Red Moon, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I know many people try to use a firewall that is regularly updated and supported,but i would like to know just how important an issue this really is,
    If we take for an example the windows firewall,its an effective firewall but i personally have never seen microsoft issue an update for it.So in that respect is keeping your firewall updated really as important as we believe it is.?

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, MS updates the firewall component on regular bases to address issues and vulnerabilities. The same applies to other software producers. Vulnerabilities may not be disclosed by producers for obvious reasons and running old version may expose you to risk especially if your firewall is the first line of defense. (e.g. not behind a router).

3. SeReB

SeReB Registered Member

There are basically two types: program and definition updates.
    The program updates are meant for fixing (security) issues in the software (like Windows Update in Windows).
    The definitions updates help firewalls better decide what to do - it usually contains "description" of the file and whether to allow or block it. For instance: Miranda IM, version, checksum, allow. (And it might contain even more meta-data of the program.)

4. BBCooper

BBCooper Registered Member

Very well written, thanks, this really helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.