What is the best firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by php111, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. php111

php111 Registered Member

Well guys and girls sorry to say i am running very limit on firewalls. Comodo is not Vista compatible.

Sygate a component is missing. Here is the 100% exact message.

A component of Sygate Personal Firewall is missing. Please uninstall any previous versions and then reinstall Sygate Personal Firewall.

My question is, what the hell previous versions? I never had Sygate on here. Maybe years ago on my old PC but not this one. Previous versions? I have none.

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Sounds like a bad install process. You may need to uninstall and then reinstall a new downloaded program.

http://www.hackfix.org/software/uninstall/sygate.html

I just installed version 5.6.3408 on a PC that previously used only the XP firewall before and it is running ok.
    http://www.filedownloads.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/spf3408_Debug.exe
    (EXE format)

http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215
    (ZIP format)
    Install guide:
    http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html
    Link to a previous thread on Sygate.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=178378

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  3. php111

php111 Registered Member

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

No, the Sygate program was sold to Symantec in November 2005 and development on it stopped. If you are looking for a Vista compatible firewall, there are very few of those available at this time, but there should be more as newer program versions are introduced. If you want a FREE Vista compatible firewall program, I am not sure that there is such a program, but others might know.

If you are trying to install Sygate into a Vista machine, I think that is why you are getting the "missing component" message. Vista is a different operating system than Windows 98, 2000, and XP and the Sygate program was not made to "fit" into a Vista machine.

Edit: Going back to the original post, of course, Zone Alarm, is free and is Vista compatible. There are a few others also Vista compatible (such as McAfee) but they are not free. The original post did not specify the OS that was being used.
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Why don't you just use the Win firewall if you're running Vista?

6. php111

php111 Registered Member

I just try the firewall you gave me to download which i am downloading it now. Oh is Kerio freeware?

7. php111

php111 Registered Member

Because i prefer something different and i must hate when something is built it. I like getting my own software.

8. php111

php111 Registered Member

That link you gave me. It is a missing component also. I am running very very limit i must say. Please help me someone. Does they have updates on Kerio, Sygate or Comodo that is Vista compatible? Now i have to go and get a drink.

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

No Kerio is not yet Vista compatible, but it is free. A quote from their website

10. php111

php111 Registered Member

This blows. What about Conodo? No i think i had the lastest that was posted above? I might have to go back to page 1. The person gave some firewall options. Let me check it out.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Quote from Comodo site (again not Vista compatible):
    All three above are not Vista compatible. You are stuck with Zone Alarm, or a pay firewall.

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Right now there are only a few standalone firewalls for Vista. The only free ones that I know of are Zone Alarm, PC Tools and the built in firewall. Most of the other choices are tied into security suites. Comodo is working on version 3, but it is in beta and is not promised before November. It will be out when its ready, LOL. You might want to join their beta forum and see what is going on. From what I have been reading, it has a ways go go.

The OP may want to pass on the built in firewall, but given the meager choices available, especially if suites don't make you happy, it might be worth another look. I have been using it for about 6 months now with good results. Not only is it "free", it is lite and gets along well with everything I have thrown at it. Perhaps its best feature is integration with the public/private network choices made when signing on to a new network. This is particularly useful for notebook users.

The Vista firewall is very (redacted) hard to configure when outbound filtering is enabled. I am thinking of getting a thread started on the topic so that Vista users can contribute their findings. Anyone interested?

13. php111

php111 Registered Member

Pay for me is free. What about the following?

Jetico v1
    Ghostwall
    PC Tools
    CHX-1
    Filseclab
    Sunbelt Kerio

Coming from page 1 of this thread.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Sorry for the runaround. I was not aware that you are using a Vista system. A lot of programs have not been updated for the new Operating System. It is a common occurrence that the Operting System is released before new programs are adapted to it. It requires time and testing in order to make a program compatible with a new Operating System. Sometimes it can take years. That is because the Operating System information is not released to other software firms, so they have to react to the changes when it comes out. IMHO, I think Microsoft would prefer that you just use their own programs and ignore everyone's else's offerings. MS only is concerned that you buy their software and no one else's. :cautious: :cool: ;) :p

15. php111

php111 Registered Member

So you use a suite version? What firewall would that be?

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

PC Tools firewall appears to be Vista compatible, so it looks like you have an alternative to Zone Alarm.

17. php111

php111 Registered Member

Do you know much about PC Tools? Is it on top of the list by being one of the best?

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I think the responder was saying that the PC was using the Vista firewall and was not referring any suite programs per se. But the other poster can clarify.

19. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have never used anything from PC Tools. Spyware Doctor is their most commonly known software program. The Antispyware program usually is on the top of the list on magazine reviews such as PC World. Their firewall is not well known nor widely used since the free version was made available for less than a year.

20. php111

php111 Registered Member

http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/products.htm

Yeah Vista compatible. I am getting it. It is Jetico...........

21. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Jetico Version 2 is Vista compatible, but unlike Version 1 is not free ($39.95).
    http://www.jetico.com/

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Jetico is a 30 day trial program so you have to buy it to continue using it after 30 days.

23. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I am using the Vista firewall.

Suites tested by me on Vista include: Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.1, Norton 360 and Kaspersky Internet Security 7. These are all good products, but personally I am not happy with any of them. 360 is the only one I have totally eliminated due to its dumbed down interface. KIS has documented issues with disk corruption. Zone Alarm has been having general teething problems since version 7 came out for XP months ago. Future versions may be more attractive.

You might want to give ZA free for Vista a try. Nothing to lose and it is easy to work with. PC Tools has a more difficult interface, IMO. The Vista firewall is really for experts once outbound filtering is enabled. There are no pop-ups so either you know what to do, or suddenly nothing works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.