What is the best additional Spyware?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Traveler2, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveler2

Traveler2 Registered Member

What is the best additional Spyware?

In addition to Eset SS what antispyware works best?

Currently I use the free version of Super anti spyware and Malwarebyte and I think that they catch everything that Eset misses.

Eset suggested the 2 above softwares when i was having a problem with a stubborn virus. Superantispyware seems very good from my limited experence.

Suggestions?

Should I upgrade to the Pro versions?

2. kmr1685

kmr1685 Registered Member

dude better suggestion is get something called Anti-anywhere or Anti-allware ;) :p becoz you already have enough Antiware do you need more :o_O

3. Traveler2

KMR1685,

I am not sure if you understood my post - sorry for any confusion.

I am asking if the two that I currently use in addition to ESET SS are the best?

Another words if I got additional software it would likely be instead of not in addition to Superantispyware and Malware.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

your set up is fine. if you want a quicker stand alone scanner get hitman pro. i had that set up for years. eset never let anything through except some harmless cookies picked up by SaS.
    that protection is more than enough.

5. Traveler2

Stratoc,

Thank you for your response.

I will take a look at Hitman Pro I like the sound of it.

I may also upgrade to the Pro version of what i now have so that I will get auto updates and save time.

For myself I have had ESET let through a nasty virus which SaS picked up right away. I almost dropped ESET but I understand no software will get everything...

6. stratoc

stratoc Guest

other may advise different but mbam and SaS are great stand alone scanners. i have paid versions of both but find realtime both to be far too heavy.
    you have to install malware and both have right click scan options. but if it makes you feel safer...

7. Traveler2

Stratoc,

Thank you.

Yes, your post is why I was posting - to get ideas.

I do like speed so would you say that the supplemental software should not be updated in real time - only as needed?

Or are you saying let the updates happen in real time (hence paid versions) and scan manually as needed?

And is the Hitman software better than Sas or Mabam or just faster or?

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Eset realtime and MBAM as well as SAS for on demand looks fine to me.
    If your looking for more protection then that, I'd suggest you look into Sandboxing and/or Light virtualization.

9. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i totally agree with this.

10. Traveler2

Thank you both very much.

So to be sure I understand:

Eset realtime and MBAM as well as SAS for on demand with MBAM & SAS paid versions updating in realtime - the scans are on demand.

Is that correct?

I also use CC cleaner from time to time after my scans to keep things going smoothly.

11. LoneWolf

If you haven't already paid for MBAM or SAS the free versions would be fine.
    Just update and scan manually.

12. Traveler2

No I have not paid yet but if it will save time by having them update on their own I do not mind paying as it is a one time amount on sale - at least for SaS which I will use more than MBAM whose price I have not checked but again if it is a onetime cost and on sale no problem.

My thinking here is that I pay for ESET and once i had a virus which ESET did not remove but SaS did so I am happy to pay them some money.

13. LoneWolf

MBAM is one time fee also.
    It's your money though.
    If you haven't already had a look at this write up from BlueZannetti an Administrator here at Wilders, I'd suggest on doing so.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252253
    Personally I wouldn't put all my faith in signature based scanners.

14. Traveler2

"You will not find the one true perfect security setup below. That’s like reaching a temperature of absolute zero – you can get close, but you can never get there. Absolute security doesn’t exist, however rational risk management does."

I like the above quote from your link.

What do you mean by "signature based scanners' is that what ESET SaS etc are?

I think that you mean that as the articles state antivirus/malware software is one part of an entire plan - is that correct?

If so I am personally step by step improving - not where I want to be but getting better. I have external drive backup, ESET suite plus the other malware software that we are talking about.

15. LoneWolf

Couldn't agree more.

Yes and yes.

16. Traveler2

Thanks again.

17. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

ESS together w/ mabam and sas for on demand scanning is an "OK" setup ... I advise you use sandboxie as well ... the free version would protect your browser the way any AV can't.

18. Traveler2

Thank you for the suggestion I will take a look at their website

19. sunoracle

sunoracle Registered Member

Eset by itself is not enough. I feel you need to run something like either MBAM or SAS in realtime too. (I prefer MBAM because I'm using Win 7 x64 with a LUA, and MBAM works better for me with this setup. I own lifetime licenses for both MBAM and SAS, so I don't think I have a bias because of purchasing one vs. the other.)

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  20. sunoracle

sunoracle Registered Member

I looked into Sandboxie and decided it wasn't worthwhile since it doesn't fully sandbox things with a 64-bit OS.

21. Traveler2

Using Sas in realtime with Mnbam on demand sounds good,

Sas helped with a virus that ESET missed so I like it.

I looked at Sandboxie and I wonder how compatible it is with ESET and if it slows things down?

22. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

At present I am using IObit360 as an active addition to 4.2.40 SS. It works great for my setup and does not seem to slow things up. I also use as 'on-demand' SuperAntiSpyware and HitmanPro.
    My computer is older and this setup works great.
    KOR-

23. Traveler2

Thank you for the suggestions - good software

24. Get

Get Registered Member

Use Sandboxie (buy it! :thumb: ) and throw in Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.0 (fka a-squared.) for on-demand scanning and you're "pretty safe".

25. Traveler2

Interesting why does ESET score so low on these reviews?

Do the testers have a bias?

http://www.anti-malware-reviews.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.