What is the Alert Used

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Grummy, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grummy

Grummy Registered Member

Hello, I just installed SwB today and have been exploring the program's functions ans settings. One question which I don't seen to find in the help files is "what happens when a a spy componet is discovered. Does SwB pop up a warning box? Is the install killed at that point ? I tried an experiement by down loading Bonzi Buddy and when I clicked it's installer, the install started (no warning, no alert) and then my dial up connection started to phone home to the Bonzi server. At that point I chickened out and disconnected before the connection was made. (I don't have a test machine o_O ). Any how, I assume the purpose of the installer was to connect back to get the rest of the files needed for the complete install. The installer was quite small and Bonzi's home page suggests the actualy program is much larger. I then cleaned up my box with Spybot S &D, which found 2 folders in the program dir., and one registry VB key. If I had continued on with the remainder of the install, would SwB have given me an alert? And if so, would I then have need to use the snap shot feature for clean up ? I checked my system snap shot afterwards and no changes were made to my system as a result of my "partial test" BTW-SpywareBlaster is a must have program and I'm recommending to all my friends and family. Thank You in advance.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster can only prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware through webpages. In the event that ActiveX-based spyware is already installed on your machine, SpywareBlaster can manytimes prevent it from running. In these cases, you would not be alerted, but the spyware would be blocked/prevented from running. (SpywareBlaster does not need to run in the background to provide its protection, and thus does not use up any resources, but because of the method it uses it cannot provide an alert.) Many new spyware programs are installed via ActiveX on webpages, through a method coined "drive-by-downloads".

However if you download the Bonzi Buddy setup exe and run in, SpywareBlaster cannot block it (since the installer is not ActiveX-based).

But it was a good idea to use the Snapshot feature to make sure your test did not leave any bad remnants. :)

In regard to the alert, you may be thinking of SpywareGuard, another one of my free software offerings. I'm working on a new version that should be out soon, and will incorporate more great features. SpywareGuard can alert if a spyware exe tries to run - and can prevent the exe from running at all.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.