What is that audible sound?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by btag, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btag

btag Registered Member

Recently I started hearing this "popping" sound. I can't say exactly when it began, but I noticed it the last several days, and I've been using NOD 32 for about a week. When I hear it, it will usually repeat itself every few minutes. It sounds like that noise you made as a kid (and possibly as an adult!) by putting your finger in your mouth with cheeks blown up and flicking it out. I thought maybe it was a popup blocker from firefox except that I've heard it with firefox closed. I've heard a very similar if not exact sound from Utorrent, whenever a download completes. Are there any sounds that NOD32 makes for any reason? If not, does anyone have an idea what I'm hearing? It's not all the time, and I haven't been able to associate it with any program yet.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's your AIM buddy list or some such.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No.

Cheers :D

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Chat / IM software , Windows or whatever can be making this sound . We don't know what you have installed on your computer so we can only guess. Any changes you have made to your computer since these sounds started appearing?

5. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

I've heard it also. On my system it is C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Ballon.wav

Guess the notification about the definition update is blocked by something...sometimes.o_O
    I never checked NOD32 system log to see if the update happened at that moment.

6. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

8. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I also hear that popping sound, on my computer, its when something updates,or when a program I am using, has a newer version to download.I also get a message in the bottom right corner, with a balloon tip ,telling me information.When I uncheck the box marked ' enable balloon tips' using TweakUI, I still get the popping sound , but no message.Do you get any balloon tip messages at all. If not, you could download TweakUI from microsoft,open the program, click on Taskbar and Menu, and place a check in the box 'enable balloon tips'.http://filehippo.com/download_tweakui/

9. btag

btag Registered Member

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002 sp2. I don't have AIM, but I do have yahoo and windows live messengers, although I don't believe either were running at the time. I do not see any balloons for updates. Only new additions besides NOD 32 have been some dvd software (movavi and convertxtodvd). I also have asquared and spybot but they are only running when I scan. I use Peer Guardian firewall when using Utorrent, but have heard the sounds with them both off. As I said, the sound is the same one that Utorrent makes when a download completes. I guess I'll have to better track this till I find the culprit. In the meantime, thanks for replies and keep them coming!

10. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

What I meant was if you enabled the balloon tips, they might identify the program that is causing the noise.Like when I use Anydvd, I sometimes hear the popping noise,with the message 'there is a newer version out'With balloon tips disabled,I just hear the popping noise,and have no idea,what the popping noise means.I hope this doesn't sound too mad.:D

11. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Guessing you are running XP. Go to the Control Panel\Sounds and Audio devices\Sounds tab. From there you can do a little detective work by checking which sounds are associated with which events. It will be your choice then to leave it, associate another sound, or associate "none" with the event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.