What is One-Click Protection in TI 2009 and need I use it ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jjscotman, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjscotman

jjscotman Registered Member

Hello

Only last month (end September) I purchased TI 11 Home edition and (with the very kind help of members of this forum)successfully created a bootable dvd and completed a full back up to an external drive.

Over this weekend I received a free upgrade to TI 2009.

Looking at it I see the One-Click Protection tool and I am not sure whether I need to use it so recently after already creating the full back up mentioned above.

Even after reading the Help section, I am not at all sure if what One-Click Protection is all about.

As a "silver surfer" with limited computer knowledge, even after using google, the terms "system volume" and "master boot record" as used in the One-Click tool mean little to me (except they appear important!!)

If the advice from more knowledgeable forum members is to use the One-Click Protection tool now, do I back up to my external drive as I did last month ?

Many thanks in advance for help !!

2. como

como Registered Member

You have made a new rescue disk with TI 12 booted from it and checked it can see all your drives? I'm not sure if the rescue disk from TI 11 will restore TI 12 images.

Although I have downloaded the TBYB version of TI 12 I have not installed it as apparently it prevents all your card readers functioning. However reading chapter 4.1 of the User Guide, which you should download and read yourself as a new user of TI, it appears that TI will now backup the whole of your system disk automatically which is the same as clicking in the box for Disk 1 in previous versions.

I have not spent time reading the whole chapter as I have no intention of installing this version until Acronis fixes the card reader bug, but it appears that TI will decide where to place these images unless you have a Secure Zone!

3. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

A much detailed explanation is provided on Chapter 4 or page 23 of the ATI Home 2009 user guide.

4. jjscotman

Thanks for responses.

Having studied the 2009 User Guide, it appears that One-Click Protection is just a (slightly) easier way to make a full back up. Is this correct ?

My question is now whether TI 2009 will restore the back up I made last month with TI 11 Home.

Sorry for perhaps being slow on the uptake but I am a relative computer newbie and Acronis should remember people like me also buy their products when they dream of so-called "features" and write User Guides.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

2009 will recognise and restore v11 images.

To double check (for your peace of mind), mount a TI 11 image using v2009 from within Windows. If all works OK, move to stage 2 :)

Boot with the 2009 rescue disk, navigate to your v11 image, run a validation check. If all pans out brilliant !

This is about as far as you can go without performing an actual restore.

Colin

6. jjscotman

Colin/bodgy, very grateful for your kind reply.

Unfortunately, when you say "boot with the 2009 rescue disk", it raises another question in my mind - namely, will the rescue dvd I created last month with version 11 work with the 2009 version ? Or do I need to create a new rescue dvd with the 2009 version ?

Also, was I correct in saying that the new One-Click Protection is just a (slightly) easier way to make a full back-up ? Please see above.

Sorry for being a bit of a dunce about all this !!

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

yes, though it will fit on a CD as it only takes up about 80-100MB's.

Not quite, or more accurately it depends on what and how you normally image.

One click, works fine if you have just one hard drive and one partition (see later on this topic). In this configuration, it will automatically make an image of your system partition (which will be 'C' if you have just the one partition) and MBR, furthermore, it will decide where to store the image, if it detects an external drive with enough space, the image will be stored there, failing that it may if a SZ has been made store the image there or if your main drive has more than one partition it may decide to store the images on that. Note it will not automatically image extra viewable partitions on drives, only that containing the operating system - so for laptops it may well be the selection of choice with more than one partition.

You can override the default choice when you set One Click up for the first time. You will need to specifically add on any extra partition or drives, however, problems may be caused if you try to image a partition that TI is saving the image to. You'll end up imaging the image. TI will also decide the frequency and time of imaging. TI will also make two copies of the image for data security. It seems to only make full images.

Colin

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Fromthe testing I have done, the ATI12/2009 bootCD will restore full disk backups made with ATI10 and ATI11. Judging from that, I'd say it should be able to handle both backupfile formats, 10 and 11. I haven't tried the reverse, so I can't say if ATI11 will restore an ATI12 backup. I suspect not but haven't tried it.

9. jjscotman

Today created a new rescue dvd using new 2009 version.

I have an Acer Aspire 5920G which shows a C drive and a C drive.

I assume I will therefore need to use the Back Up function of version 2009 rather than One-Click.

Anyway that is a task for the future as I made a full back up only last month.

Once again many thanks to all who helped clarify my mind !!

This is an excellent and very friendly forum !!

Bye !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.