What is ekrn.exe doing using up my bandwidth?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by helaku, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helaku

helaku Registered Member

Hello, I've been using ESET Smart Security without any problems for a few weeks. However, for the last couple of days ekrn.exe is constantly accessing u20.eset.com for no obvious reason and thereby using up bandwidth that I'm paying for.

Could anyone explain to me, please, what is going on and how I can stop this?

(screenshots of settings and connections attached)

Attached Files:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I guess another program has downloaded something via http and the traffic was subsequently routed via ekrn

3. helaku

helaku Registered Member

What can I do to stop that?

Without downloading anything the MB figure under Received increases slowly while the Local IP increases constantly one by one; for example
    0:0:0:0:1778
    0:0:0:0:1779
    0:0:0:0:1780
    0:0:0:0:1781
    0:0:0:0:1782

I can reboot and as soon as I'm online the above process starts to cycle through the Local IP addresses and the Sent and Received figures start to increase.

When I set the option "temporarily deny communication for the process" for ekrn.exe I cannot access the internet.

Can anyone shed light on what is going on, please?

Attached Files:

4. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

I had the same problem with EAV.

Simply...use another rule based firewall (without hard coded rules) and block ekrn.exe only to 89.202.157.130.
    Or wait for ESET to remove hard coded rules from ESS and do the same thing :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  5. technobeetle

technobeetle Registered Member

This is strange. I run NOD32 v3 and CFP v3, and Comodo attributes my FlashGet traffic to ekrn.exe

CPF traffic monitor:
    cpf.JPG

Meanwhile, FlashGet:
    flashget.JPG

o_O

6. technobeetle

technobeetle Registered Member

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

As far as I know 89.202.157.130 is an ESET server -> u20 , no longer used for updates. It is impossible to be ^something else^ downloading from u20.eset.com ... ?

It must be either ESS trying to update or ESS submitting info for ThreatSense.NET ....? But 25 Mbs received is too much ...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.