What is best encryption/security program for home network?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lionman, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lionman

lionman Registered Member

QUESTIONS FOR EXPERTS ON BEST COMPUTER SECURITY PROGRAM

Newbie asks, “What is the best encryption/security program for data and system files on a home network?”
    I have a home network with 2 computers (1 desktop, 1 laptop) and one external hard drives connected to the desktop computer. The desktop computer has 2 hard drives, 1 for the OS and programs, and one HD for my data files and HD Acronis image files. I keep all of my data files in one folder with many subfolders and files within this one folder. The folder is currently about 25 Gigs.
    I have a synchronization program that automatically syncs my data files between the 3 hard drives (the laptop drive, the desktop HD, and the external HD) whenever a file is changed and then closed.
    I would like a good encryption/security program that works seamlessly in the background protecting my files whether from a guest user account on one of my computers by a friend or family member, from the internet, or if a hard drive is stolen or taken by the government. I would also need it to allow my sync program to work in the background.
    I care less about sending secure email and files over the net, but that would be a nice feature.
    I’m also concerned about temp and swap files and whatever other files I am unaware of that could breach my security from external attacks.
    My current security software is:
    • Windows XP Home (I found a free program that allows displaying the security tab’s access permissions in Home). I am willing to upgrade to XP Pro if it is worth it.
    • Norton Anti-virus
    • Zone-Alarm
    • Spyware Removers: Adaware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster.
    • Roboform for passwords.
    • Email: Spambayes, NoSpamMail
    I would like a secure program preventing access from anyone without my permission, one that is user friendly, and one that is as complete as possible. I am willing to learn a more difficult program if it is more secure, but after months of searching, I am still not sure which program to purchase or use in the first place. PGP Desktop Pro 9.0 is over $200.00, which if it is much better than the competition, I will fork out the money, but would prefer to save money if another program comes close to its quality. I also could tolerate using more than one program form folder encrypting, email, other system security features if I must, but one program would be nice. Are there any programs that are of good quality for idiots like me? It feels like one must obtain a college degree to know how to secure a home network and its individual computers. It would be nice if a company would come up with one program that would take care of all computer security needs, including internet, messaging, data files, system files, etc and was user friendly but secure for the vast majority computer users who are not experts. What about GnuPG, Process Guard, TrueCrypt, or any other suggestions. Thanks for the program recommendations.

2. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.