What Im Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mata7, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks man and CHEERS. You too Wilbertnl !!!!!! I like Duvel.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi again Mata

I use ShadowProtect vs Ghost, but I've imaged and restored, and I always restore MBR, and it has worked fine in the past. Assuming ghost does it's job you should have no problem.

Pete

4. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thanks pete i will see how ghost go, i also will create a image wiht Vista Complete PC Backup, i been use it and i it save me allot of times

5. ErikAlbert

The question is : will Vista Complete PC Backup restore all your FDISR-snapshots ?
    The same question for Norton Ghost.

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I guess I will have to take risk and try, but of course I will export my snaps first so whatever happen I just reinstall vista install firs defense and restore my snapshots

7. ErikAlbert

First you go to Tools / Options / Archives to tell FDISR, where to store archives, which is usually a folder on your external harddisk.
    For instance : E:\Archived Snapshots (or any other folder name)

On the main screen of FDISR you will see "Archived Snapshots". All archived snapshots created and stored in the archive folder of Options will be visible under Archived Snapshots.

If you use a harddisk (internal or external) you don't use export to create an archived snapshot. The right method is :

For archiving you use :
    Copy/Update FROM snapshot-name TO (new) archive-name

For restoring you use :
    Copy/Update FROM archive-name TO snapshot name

Import and Export is for DVD/CD's, not for harddisks. :)

PS: many beginners use export, because they can't find the word Archive or Restore in the menus, so they don't know what to do and then they use export to archive snapshots, but that's WRONG.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  8. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

lol you tell me at least 5 times about archiving and i keep using export

ok this time i just archiving my primary snap

9. ErikAlbert

If you keep on using EXPORT, then you have to test if export also UPDATES an existing archived snapshot.
    If it doesn't work you won't be able to update archived snapshots.
    Copy/Update does update archived snapshots.
    I'm not joking, I'm dead serious :)

PS: no experienced user uses export to archive snapshots or import to restore archived snapshots.

10. ErikAlbert

mata,
    I have good news : the function "Export" also UPDATES an existing archived snapshot, which means you can keep on using "Export" for archiving.
    It's not so simple as copy/update, but some users like it complicated, because simple is only for stupid users. FDISR works for both users. Another practical example of this brilliant software, called FirstDefense-ISR.

I didn't test the restore, you can do that yourself. :)

PS: I wonder if the function "Export" also would UPDATE when an archived snapshot is spread over 3 CD+RW's.
    The ULTIMATE TEST for export. LOOOHAHAHAOOOL

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  11. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thas good new, i just maybe dint explain my self good last time

but i did use what you recomende
    Copy/Update FROM snapshot-name TO (new) archive-name

12. ErikAlbert

That's good. I will duplicate the Duvel picture and drink another virtual Duvel at your expense. Cheers !!!

13. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Good news

I did a Backup on Vista using Vista Complete PC Backup then I uninstall First Defense Remove All snapshot, format my hard drive, then Restore the Vista Backup and all my snapshots where there, I did have to install first defense again after restore vista but that was not a problem, so vista pc backup keep you snap intact

14. ErikAlbert

If you have to re-install FDISR again after restoration, it means that the restoration FAILED.
    So Vista Complete PC Backup is NOT a good Backup software for FDISR.
    Is Vista Complete PC Backup a File Backup or Image Backup ?
    Thanks for sharing the tests results :)

PS:
    If I restore my system partition with Acronis True Image, I have EVERYTHING back : Windows, FDISR and all my snapshots.
    If I restore my data partition with Acronis True Image, I have ALL my DATA back.
    If Peter restores with ShadowProtect, he has EVERYTHING back : Windows, FDISR and all his snapshots + DATA.
    That is the main task of backup/restore : give you EXACTLY back, what you had in the past. Anything else is UNACCEPTABLE.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  15. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I see what you mean

but for me is good enough, I don’t mind reinstall first defense one a year if I need it, more important for me are the Vista PC Backup keep my snaps, I just don’t trust ATI I have a crash one time and it dint restore my image backup and i know it have allot of problems

Now that I know that Vista keeps my snap I have more confidence so I will try Norton ghost 12

16. ErikAlbert

OK but never tell FDISR-users that Vista PC Backup is a good backup software for them !!! :)

17. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

just tested Norton Ghost 12, I did the same proceed, uninstall First Defense, remove all snapshot and After Restore my Ghost Image All my snap where Back and intact and I dint have to reinstall first defense, So Ghost 12 is good to go

18. ErikAlbert

Yes, that means Norton Ghost 12 is good for FDISR-users.
    Thanks for sharing your test results. :)

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Uninstall FD[Next]Remove All Snapshots[Next] Restore with Norton Ghost12 a backed up image that had FD/all snaps. Result, no need to reinstall FD as it stayed inside the Ghost12 image backup.

Did i read that right? I think the reference being made is that Ghost 12 has no problem or otherwise fudgeing up either the snapshots or the FD program itself.

Thanks

20. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

yeah you read that right, i have 0 Problem, i atreay boot up to all my snaps i have 3 after restor the ghost image

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Great, and good job with testing that. I got far more accomplished with Ghost than ever did with buggy-ridden Acronis but not by much, this is been sometime ago. I look forward to ShadowProtect new version when released if Ghost doesn't shock me by stealing the show in which these days the competition is fierce but the cream always rises to the top.

22. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I retested NGhost 12 again because I forgot format the drive last time and bingo work wonderful

23. ErikAlbert

That's good. One more test confirms again that it works. I've done alot of similar tests with Acronis TI. I even zero-ed my harddisks before I restored an image.
    Peter did the same thing with ShadowProtect.

24. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

man every single day I fallow more in love with this software, it is really usable nice piece of art, as I start learned I can see is not that complicate, I’m so glad that I dump rollback rx, the only think I don’t like about first defense is that it will make me a pc Nob, cause I won’t have to fix nothing more, it make my brain small, and don’t get me started with the freeze feature I just have to restart and "catapum" back to day one, on the next 3 month my wife will have more knowledge about comp that me

25. ErikAlbert

Yes FDISR keeps you stupid, but it also makes you feel invincible.
    Women like these qualities in a man : stupid and invincible. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.