What happens if you run Windows Update inside Sandboxie then delete your sandbox?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by FatCat0, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatCat0

FatCat0 Registered Member

I use both my desktop and laptop for research, so I am afraid of just trying it to see what happens in case that means some downtime while I fix whatever I break, but I am curious to know. I would guess that it reverts to pre-update (just like doing this with a virus would negate all damage done by the virus), but is that always the case? What about installing stuff that includes a restart? Does Sandboxie always handle that well (again, thinking about windows update and specifically the part of startup where windows configures updates).

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

FatCat, Sandboxie doesn't interfere with automatic Windows updates.

Windows updates while using IE: In my W7, I have never visited the Windows update site using IE but once or twice by mistake, I clicked on the Windows update site while using the XP. On those occasions, the correct Windows update site was not displayed and there was no chance for updating.

This link is old but still applies. Read "Windows Update on Windows XP", Anyway, updating Windows should always be done outside the sandbox.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?InternetExplorerTips

About "What about installing stuff that includes a restart?". You need something else for that. Programs that require a reboot to work properly, wont work if you install them in a sandbox.

Bo

3. FatCat0

FatCat0 Registered Member

I was actually thinking about forcing it to do so, just to see what would happen. Thanks for the response =)

4. bo elam

The times that by mistake I ran Windows updates sandboxed (XP) was because my IE is forced and I forgot to disable Forced programs. In W7, you don't need to disable Forced programs to update so cant make that mistake.

Bo

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I wonder about Windows Updates under forced explorer.exe

6. bo elam

J L, I never Forced explorer.exe but I believe SBIE gives you a warning that doing so is a no no.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.