What Happened?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rugmankc, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugmankc

rugmankc Registered Member

I deleted the recovery partition on my vaio with diskpart by command lines and regained unallocated space with Acronis Disk Director. All went well. Now when I start up the computer it is much faster from turn on to my logon icons, but much slower from the logon icon to desktop. Seems the AV, NOD32, which was lighting fast on boot is now taking a lot longer to scan and give me the "OK" NOD32 icon in systray. Some web pages take longer. I can play with AV settings, but why did this happen? Is the current NOD still looking for the recovery partition, although it is not there. I could un/reinstall AV, but am trying to make sense of it.

Ken

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I had that happen once, I think it has something to do with load order. A defrag + registry defrag (I used that free auslogics one) fixed it for me.

3. rugmankc

Thanks elapsed,

I'll try that

Ken

4. rugmankc

No luck, NOD still takes a lot longer to finish start-up activity after my vaio recovery partition was deleted. I tried to disable NOD and reboot, but it auto-enables all features on reboot. Can I un/reinstall NOD? And, how do I do that on a paid version? Time may work this out according to a reply on the Acronis Forums. Initial boot to log-on is still faster, so total boot time is about the same. Maybe that just has to do with the boot order after recovery partition is gone? OR, how the partitions are now positioned on the drive. Don't know.

Ken

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does actually uninstalling EAV make a difference? Your statement "is now taking a lot longer to scan and give me the "OK" NOD32 icon in systray" indicates some network connectivity difficulties. The ESET splashscreen stays on the screen as long as ekrn.exe is wating for network drivers to load or until a timeout occurs.

6. rugmankc

I took care of turning off the spash screen in the UI settings. I uninstalled NOD then rebooted. Time from logon to desktop was still a lot longer than before the recovery partition deletion and repartitioning All that looks OK on the surface when I look at the partitions in Disk Director. I am sure NOD is not the problem now. Reinstalled it and still have the delay. Total boot up from turn on to desktop is probably still the same. Just that time from turn on to login is one half the time , 25 seconds, and login to desktop is probably four times longer than it was, although still about 20 to 30 seconds total. It seems like something is out of position in the boot order as far as positioning. But, I did checkdisk and defrag on disk and registry. Not good at this. So these are only guesses. NOD would take only 5 to 6 seconds to do it stuff and have internet ready. I liked that since AVG my previous AV was taking 20 seconds or more. Although I had SAS with it. But, neither were real time programs. These times may be normal. Not sure what other people have for times. Not a lot installed on computer.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.