What firewall is best for me? (time crunch)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Lazarey, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazarey

Lazarey Registered Member

Hi, I'm in a bit of a time crunch and don't have time to read all the posts about different firewalls, though I'd like to.

I just bought a new computer (Windows XP Home) and I would like to know what the best software firewall would be for me.
    I currently have dial-up internet but I hope to get high-speed soon (within the next few months hopefully).

I would like like to get a firewall that isn't TOO complicated. I'm pretty new to computers and I don't think I have the knowledge to really get in there and do a lot of configuring or what have you.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide! I really appreciate it!

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Right now you are somewhat protected by the built-in XP firewall. This is adequate for some\most users. 2 third party firewalls I know will get mentioned are ZoneAlarm (free vers. available) or Comodo. (free vers. available) If you should choose another firewall the be sure to disable the XP firewall.

3. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I'm an in no way very technically competent regarding firewalls, but if I can use Comodo firewall, ANYONE can. I don't quite know how it compares to other application based firewalls (is ZA free even application based, or is it rules based), but for me, it is super easy to use. I've even learned on my own how to set rules to open certain ports for print sharing. It's the easiest full featured firewall in my opinion, and generally regarded as the most secure.

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I completely agree with what's been said. Of the two, I happen to prefer Comodo's FW, but they are both very easy to setup/use and either one will provide much better protection than Windows FW.

5. cpj

cpj Registered Member

I like COMODO and also NOD32 for antivirus.

www.eset.com for NOD32

CPeter

6. Lazarey

Yes, I plan to use NOD32 as well.

7. mallen1

mallen1 Registered Member

I'm in a similar crunch. From the limited analysis I've done, it appears that Outpost or Comodo would work best for me.

Question: given the following security apps I run, which of the above two firewalls is less likely to give me compatability problems.
    NOD32 (Antivirus)
    Prevx 1 (heueristic antimalware)
    Webroot Spy Sweeper (signature antimalware)
    Ella Spam Filter

Final query - should I beef up my rootkit detection from what's packaged in the current versions of the Eset and Webroot products I'm using?

Thanks people,
    -Mark

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I have Comodo and Prevx1, and trialed Webroot SS with no problems. No conflicts, but i did dump WSS. Spam filter, i don't know, but it should be fine.
    I'd say get Comodo first and foremost. It's free and full featured, no paid versions. If you don't like it, THEN try something else. Remember, it's free and easy to use.

9. Lazarey

Well, I guess I'll go with Comodo! A few people recommended Kerio on another board I'm on, any thoughts about that one? Also, Blackspear recommends Look n Stop, any comments on that?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Look n Stop and kerio 2.1.5 are super light firewall, great for older systems or gamers where performance can be an issue.
    Seeing you have a new computer performance shouldn't be an issue so comodo should run well for you.

11. Lazarey

Okay, thanks!

12. cpj

cpj Registered Member

I have run Kerio 4.3.268 on a bunch of systems, but am migrating to COMODO 2.4. This new version of COMODO seems to be working really great. I run NOD32 and Webroot SS on some machines and NOD32 and Spyblaster on one at this time. No problems.

CPeter

13. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Used LnS for 2 years now with NOD32. I know nothing about making rules. Just loaded the enhanced ruleset and away I went. Super light, has not crashed once to my knowledge, works great with NOD and I've been extremely happy with it.

The upcoming firewall in Online Armor is looking formidable and very easy to use ( I am a beta tester however, so you may view me as biased if you wish :) )

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I should add that, though fully satisfied with Comodo, i am going to try out Kerio 2.1.5, which is also free, to learn more about firewall rules and networking.

Comodo is great. For install and forget, to me, the best:thumb: (i should say i don't know that many firewalls to say this, but...). In a "time crunch", a better choice.

But my curious nature tells me to try Kerio, and maybe after that, Sygate, to learn, not forget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.