What do u think of Apple tablet- IPad

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Finally the details are here.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/the-apple-ipad/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/the-apple-ipad/

I was so excited but seems not any more. :)

It,s too early but I have following things in my mind ATM:

Goods:

- It,s un-locked, thanks God.
    - Runs a mobile OS that must eb light n fast.
    - Despite an apple product, price is less than horrible, I think.
    - Keyboard dock

Bads:

- I don,t like the bazel.
    - Agree that IPad name is not the best, it was better to be named as iSlate.
    - No flash
    - No built-in phone

Frankly I think it was way over-hyphed. One thing I agree most that Netbooks are slow and they have a wrong OS ATM( a desktop OS). There need a true mobile OS, something from linux as I don,t expect MS to come out with anything like that.

Wish to have some Android tablets/ netbooks in near future. :p :p :p

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I think it's an iphone with a bigger screen. I like the iphone, but this doesn't seem like any huge upgrade over it.

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Truthfully, until you can use one in-person I'm not sure you can really decide if it's worth the investment.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Agree with both of you. :)

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

While I, of course, haven't tried it, I will just give myself enough freedom to quote one of the comments from that page that reflects my initial impression -

But hey, at least it has a compass. In case the onboard one on your yacht gets screwed, I guess.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its just a bigger iphone that I cant where you would store it.
    The only apple product i would want is a more budget version of a mac pro. aka just a tower and no screen.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Like everyone else has said, until it's in the hands of testers, judging won't mean much. That being said, I'm not seeing anything overly exciting about it. To me, it's another attempt in a long line of attempts to bring the tablet to the masses. It hasn't worked yet, and I have doubts Steve Jobs and Apple can bring anything so different, so creative, so functional as to turn those failed attempts into an iPhone-like success.

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Since I don't have anything from Apple...I have no need for this either.:D

P.S. I think Apple is great. Perhaps, I don't fit the demographic. ;)

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If you focus only on the hardware details, you miss the point. The point is content, content distribution, and having the device itself fade to the back. It's a lot like the Windows vs. OS-X vs. Linux arguments one sees all the time. The OS isn't the point, it's a means to an end. In this case, the end is content (ebooks, music, video, games, etc.)

Am I thinking of getting one? Yep. Not sure if I'll jump right away or wait for the dust to settle.

Blue

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

True. Of course there is nothing new in the idea, its been done before but I think Apple have just done it a whole lot better, which may be what the market has been waiting for - someone to set a precedent.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Very cool but pricey...

12. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I know next to nothing about the product but since I am a Tablet user and would prefer to take a less expensive device with me when I travel (my Fujitsu cost over $2000) I like the idea of a $400 Tablet for traveling. Until more is known about this one I will reserve judgment but it cant be worse than the net books,,,,and it is a tablet, so sounds pretty decent to me so far.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

But what about Flash? That's a LOT of online media content not available. I know HTML 5 is showing up more, but a HUGE part of the web is still Flash. No multi-tasking means you won't be playing with much content at once. We take multi-tasking for granted, without it we aren't doing much with our fancy toys. On the iPhone, it isn't such a huge deal maybe, it is after all at the end of the day, a phone. For everything being promoted by Apple as a reason to buy this thing, it would be nice to being able to get more work done.

Games, well, come now, let's get real, what most think of as gaming isn't going to be happening on the iPad.

14. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

What you don't like Bejeweled :D
    Kotaku

Need for speed maybe alright if you don't mind a 'square' steering wheel.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Who DOESN'T like Bejeweled?
    :D

I really don't think they want to put a half-way decent FPS game on that thing, lol. I've done my share of it and have friends that still do...they'd tear that screen to pieces when they got going (not to mention how disgusting the screen would look after Dorito-covered, soda stickied hands got done with it).

16. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

"From music to news to books, Jobs seems to think if you get the delivery right and use lots of Helvetica, people will pay for content!" - Roland Hedley

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Yes, this could be a major thing. Since web surfing is one part of the market target, I assume this will change by release, although who knows if that's a correct surmise on my part.
    I'm really not sure that this is a biggie, but it will require hands on to see how it plays out. Except for surfing, the target domains are what I tend to think of as high immersion activities - you tend to focus on them.
    Light gaming, not what gamers think of as gaming. I see it in my wife. She uses lots of little games on her Eris. Word games and casual fun "time passers". The types of games you now find in print media and hand held units. I suppose other types of games could be squeezed into an iPad, but I tend to think mind and light relaxation games.

This type of device would be really appreciated on a long plane ride or trip, same as a Kindle in that regard, but a little more function in some respects. Now, can that ethic be extended from the context of traveling to being the preferred media pipe in the home? I actually think it can after seeing how quickly my wife has converted to a Kindle. She still buys lots of paperbacks, but a large fraction of her total "paperback" consumption is now Kindle based.

Blue

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Some things really seem annoying to me. Not sure if it's me only.

No regular SIM option, no regular built-in USB ports, no web cam and no flash support. Seems they want to force users to pay extra money for these things along with the hassle of managing so many peripherals. Besides i will really like to have an option to hook any USB Keyboard to it.

Any way if they got enough competitors, they will be forced to add many more things like this. It will be interesting to see what other vendors put in competition. I think an android tablet by HTC may be good competitor.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  19. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

A lot of valid points have been made. One thing I've learned is that with Apple, wait for either v2 or v4 of any products they release and with Microsoft, wait for v3 of any products they release.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

21. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

22. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

LOL i saw on old version of that pic wen the iphone came out :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.