What Disk Imaging Software do you primarily use to backup and restore?

Discussion in 'polls' started by markymoo, Aug 15, 2008.

?

What Disk Imaging Software do you primarily use to backup and restore?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2008.
  1. Acronis TrueImage

37.4%
  2. DriveImage XML

2.8%
  3. Paragon Drive Backup

19.6%
  4. Image for Dos

10.3%
  5. Image for Windows

10.3%
  6. Drive Snapshot

9.3%
  7. Clonezilla

2.8%
  8. R-Drive Image

0.9%
  9. Ghost

12.1%
  10. SelfImage

0.9%
  11. Diskwizard

0.9%
  12. Ping

0.9%
  13. Kroll Ontrack

0.9%
  14. Perfect Image 11

0.9%
  15. Partimage

0.9%
  16. ShadowProtect

21.5%
  17. Partition Saving

0.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

What is consistently your first choice of disk imaging software to backup and restore your system?

Also what be interesting to include how often you backup? I backup my system every single day. I wipe and restore on average every 2 months for a spring clean. I haven't had to restore before then as the system is very stable and error free due to good maintenance. The exception being for testing purposes.

Meant to add 'Other' and 'Dont Backup' so if an MOD see's this, please add thanks. If not listed just reply what you use. Can't edit the full names and it's stuck as multiple choice oh well :doubt:.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I do one incremental every day, one full backup every week. Once in a while I use my second choice imaging software..because..eh..well I have a license for it :)
    I dont test that much software/malware any more as I used to so I only restore maybe once every other week or so nowadays.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    True Image for doing hard drive upgrades for clients, don't use it a home though. Once in a while (like..maybe a couple of times a year) I'll backup my important stuff to another hard drive...but main system just keeps running 'n running til my next big hardware upgrade, in which case she gets rebuilt fresh.

4. guest

guest Guest

i use active@
    it never failed restore process
    it easy to use
    it fast
    i think itsperfect

5. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I use Image For Windows/Dos at least once a week to backup to an external drive.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i use paragon drive backup 9.
    i backup once a day at 5pm.
    takes around 5mins.

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i use Ghost 14 and Image For Windows/Dos, i like to have 2 different backup just to be safety, they work great

8. waldets

waldets Registered Member

for windows xp: acronis true image
    for mac os x: carbon copy cloner

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I've used Paragon Drive Backup a long time but since mothballed it for DriveSnapshot which is still not showed a single glitch or issue since turning to it some time ago. Plus it's "LITE" and fast and you can easily BROWSE it's contents after imaging in a virtual partition as well as change files/folders at will. I forego the auto-incremental feature w/hash and instead simply manually reimage again directly over the image to update it, a breeze to do.

It's tiny without all the bells and whistles and simply does the job 100% perfectly for me each and every time without issue or confusion that others make for their customers sometimes.

I can't see ever changing to any other again because it's a sure bet none of them are as small as DS while performing exceptionally excellent restores, all completely intact without the massive bloat others load into your machine just to image and restore.

For me a surprisingly real exceptional imaging application worth every penny that is not failed me a single time. I call that super-reliability.

Others can argue, and for good reason, that other imaging apps can perform features DS doesn't offer, but the bottom line is DS images perfect, and restores everything completely intact time & time again without fail without all the extra bloat of loading numerous files which not only consume valuable space but raise chances of issues or problems. DS does none of that and is why i'm a very pleased customer of this tiny imaging app.

EASTER

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As reliable as PARAGON DRIVE BACKUP is been for me for many years, it's now mothballed for the incredibly tiny but formidable and most of all, completely reliable Drive Snapshot

I don't see any need to jump ship for a long long time if ever from it. It's "LITE", for me anyway images and restores with a rating so far of 100%, and is very fast. Plus it's a breeze to BROWSE it's contents afterwards or even change files/folders in it, but mostly i forego the auto-incremental route for manual overwrites when i want to update my image. Less files to deal with and just reimages right over the existing image with absolutely no problems at all.

EASTER

11. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Easter:

Long a tima no see! Anyway, as you know I use paragon and tend to agree it is "complex" Mind you it has saved me many times from my own stupidity!

On DS when you say it can reimage right over to update that loses the famous Grandfather, Father, son rule doesn't it?

What about restoring your OS partition? I doubt you mean if can overright that as it is "in use"?

I think i'm reading too much into your post!

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Back at ya ESCALATER :)

Yeah, you're probably reading too much into it. PARAGON is a class standing imaging app without a doubt and is saved my bacon many times over, but DS to me is almost stupidly simple in comparison but without the additional features, and in my case some of the other features don't even match up with DS, in speed, reliability, which can be argued because PARAGON is never failed me either.

In fact, the only difference i could raise is that DS allows to BROWSE it's image much faster if thats any comparison worth mentioning.

DS is nearly if not completely PORTABLE too, another bonus, and since i really don't rely on daily increments for keeping images up-to-date, i use DS on-the-fly to overwrite it's previous image whenever the need arises.

Plus, it's a breeze to work with and is yet to fail either way for me, imaging or restores. PARAGON does the same, and i wouldn't part with it since it also comes with a CD Rescue Disc, one item sorely missing in DS, but made up for thanks to markymoo.

EASTER

13. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I used Ghost for years then switched to ATI on some machines - (home and server editions.) For this last year I use ShadowProtect for home and server now being supported by some software I use. I have another of their (StorageCraft) products so I knew about them but also from hearing from others that use the software.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  14. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Daily online backups with Mozy Pro. Monthly images with SP.

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hey: you forgot FDISR
    (-classic_multisnapshot/archive version- ?? or is that not a true imager....I suppose .... abandonware sort of ??)
    Anyway:-
    :FDISR
    :Terabyte: IFW/IFD ( mostly BootIt for restores)

For interest: from dslr member poll imaging 2008
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15806
    :blink: o_O
    Go figure

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use Shadowprotect for imaging exclusively. I don't image as frequently as I do update FDISR archives.

17. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Acronis though fd-isr actually does most of my backups, I tend to only use disc image when fd-isr fails.

18. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I use BING the King from Terabyte (not listed in this poll)

I backup when I feel the need to. Sometimes daily if I test software or change my OS-partition. But usually not so often. Sometimes weeks between each backup. I backup to both external and internal hdd.

BING is also a great partition tool. My best purchase.

19. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I use Acronis True Image 10 for system backups (whole OS partitions with or with-out data) about once a week for important OS partitions (these are put on a separate Hard Drive).

I mostly back up my data on CD'S/ DVD'S . For these I use native Windows for CD'S and Nero for DVD'S.

I find that for data it is much faster/easier and inter-computer friendly using regular non-image backups. This way I do not have to have my data tied down by TI10 and I can use the data on any Windows NT OS machine.

20. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Ditto for me. I use BING NG much the same way. It has never failed to restore an image.

21. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Acronis. Quick and effective. Also a good compression.

22. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Paragon Hard Disk Manager for me.Never failed on xp or vista.

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

SP,hard to beat(first and last defence !) then good ol FDISR for comfort sake. :thumb:

24. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Acronis TrueImage. Very user-friendly (in my opinion).

25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hmmm...not to degrade ATI,but userfriendly........,look over their support forums. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.