What AV does PC Wolrd use

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I already hav a KAV-clone, but if I would buy KAV I'd go for Pro (for no real reason of course :D)

2. sunlightboy

sunlightboy Registered Member

kav is enough

3. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I don't agree with the whole statement... On many systems, F-Secure runs much smoother then KAV... Besides of that, F-Secure delivers a much more "ready" application... Stability is just great, and the interface is very clean...

I have a installation of F-Secure Client Security v5.55-SR1, and it only uses 18-20mb of ram, with the firewall enabled... And I don't really notice a peformance drop, not more then with McAfee Enterprise or Avast!...

I recommend everybody who wants to use a Kaspersky engine to trial F-Secure too :)

4. Firecat

I really like F-Secure StyleWarz. But it seems the Internet Security (Not Client Security) has a higher RAM footprint (than Client Security)...In fact if you read the full thread I had originally recommended F-Secure..its a great product, and since I have 1GB RAM it doesn't make any difference to me.

But KAV 5 is slightly lighter than F-Secure because it is using only one engine, F-Secure's using three...

F-Secure is a very stable app and its interface is good, no doubts. But its cost is a bit much (for some people, for me its fine).

Yes, I recommend F-Secure to everyone who wants the cream of the crop when it comes to AVs.

Best Regards,
    Firecat

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Thank you for that as i have always been curious myself about F-Secure but was put off by the statements that it slows your machine right down as i do a lot of DVD/CD burning on my machine and Kaspersky would constantly send the nero burning buffer right down and ruin the burn. How would i have fixed that if i had of kept Kaspersky or chose F-Secure?.

6. Sputnik

Yes, I read this before...
    I agree on the high price, I was lucky to revieve a free copy of this client security from my gf's university :p I've been trying so many av's but now after 2 years I think F-Secure is gonna be my final choise ;)

btw. I tried the trial of the normal home version too now on a virtual machine, and you're right, the memory use is sky high there :S o_O weird stuff... It seems corporate versions are always better (more examples, McAfee, Symantec ;) ) They let home users use over bloated bad programs... bad thing...

7. Sputnik

Very simple I think, check your files before you burn, don't browse the internet, turn off your on-access scanner, burn your dvd, and turn on the on-access scanner again...
    Not the most user friendly way, but it works ;)

8. Firecat

I do consider F-Secure, and I'll probably buy it after my 1 year of McAfee 9.0 is over...

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Anthony, there is a six months trial available through Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx in case you didn't know, should be plenty of time to see if it in fact slows your system too much. :)

10. Firecat

This is strange...Since I am official tester for MicroWorld I am using eScan on one OS and McAfee on another and Nero has no such problems with eScan or McAfee.

11. AnthonyG

Is there a corperate version of F-Secure?.

And if so can you get it (the corperate version) just as the AV by itself as that is all i would be interested in owning. (and can you get it free from anywhere too?) as i have to say im suprised your university would select this as their main AV i would assume it would have went for either mcafee or symentec. Sounds like a good university.

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Neither have i. :)

13. Sputnik

Maybe his buffer settings are wrongo_O Or try to burn with another application to see if the problem occurs there too...
    Nero always burned coasters for me... I use DiscJuggler for more then a year now, never had problems anymore ;)

14. AnthonyG

Everything is fine with mcafee i have currently installed and was also fine with my Symentec 8 that i had a year ago. The only times i have had problems was six months ago when i had spysweeper installed and running on active scan and last month when i had kaspersky installed. 4.5 was really bad at causing the problem v5 wasnt so bad but it still happend.

I have 512 DDR memory so i dont know what caused it.

15. Firecat

maybe KAV is scanning the ISO file that Nero created while burning?

16. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i have downloaded f-secure.

and u ppl say that f-secure has an advantage over KAV righto_O

it has the same scanengine plus there own plus KAV downloades plus thereso_O

17. Firecat

Ya, F-Secure has KAV engine, plus Libra engine which is based on F-Prot AV, and ther own orion..Tell us how it is OK?

Yes, F-Secure has an advantage over KAV

18. chaos16

But the problem with F-secure is its really slow to update.

The updates wat are only signature updates or program updates as well??
    hotfixes etc..

and are the updates in f-secure the updates of KAV, f prot and f-secure its selfo_O

19. Firecat

That's the problem. First update after installing is REALLY slow. Later updates are also somewhat big because of the three engines.

During first update in downloads signature updates and program updates too. after that it is usually signature updates only, unless new program version is launched.

20. chaos16

i find that f-secure is a bit complecated the settingso_O

And for realtime protection i have it on high. and it says no for scanning archiveso_O

21. chaos16

And were does it show the realtime scan

22. chaos16

wat antispyware scan engines does f-secure have lavasoft only??

23. Firecat

I think F-Secure AV edition uses KAV adware detection and Internet Security edition uses Lavasoft too.

I can't comment on configuring F-Secure right now; please wait for 2 days maybe OK? We'll help you out.

I suggest you create a new thread asking help on how to configure F-Secure.

Best regards,
    Firecat

24. Sputnik

F-Secure has a licensed version of Lavasoft's Adaware included... You can use that to scan real-time for adware...
    The normal on-access scanner uses the adware signatures from the Kaspersky and Libra engine... Good enough...

25. chaos16

Then f-secure as a couple of antiviruses plus antispyware put in one
    That is really good.
    then this could mean that this antivirus has the best detection then any other antivirus??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.