What are those programs?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by h3llo, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h3llo

h3llo Registered Member

Hello there, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, it's just that I don't know which forum suits my question the best.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Spybot: S&D, updated it, ran a scan with it, everything was fine. Now, I changed the mode from 'Normal' to 'Advanced', just so I will be able to disable the creating of a System Restore point every time I delete something that has been found by the program. After changing it to 'Advanced', some options were added at the left, so I clicked 'Uninstall Info', just out of curiousity. After clicking, I started scrolling down, and I saw some programs that I've never seen before, installed on my PC, nor do I remember that I ever installed them.

I started deleted some (I know it's just the uninstallation information, not the programs themselves), and I couldn't find anything about some of them in Google, so I will give out here the names, and if you could, please tell me what they are, and how come that I'm not able to see them in the 'Add/Remove Programs';

- MobileOptionPack
    - WebFldrsXP
    - ICW

If you could also answer my other question, how I could not see anything in the 'Add/Remove Programs'.

Thanks in advance ;).

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey h3llo,

Those should be components that were installed with Internet Explorer.

MobileOptionPack=Offline Browsing Pack
    WebFldrsXP=Web Folders for XP
    ICW=Internet Connection Wizard.

If you click on the items via Spybot....you should see the info similar to what I am displaying below.

Attached Files:

3. h3llo

h3llo Registered Member

Ah, thanks! Greatly appreciated.

I have another question, though. I'm a bit worried about the fact that I cannot see those items in the 'Add/Remove Programs'. They're like... Hidden? Anyway, is there any way to make them appear in 'Add/Remove Programs, and make sure that no program is hiding from me (an installed one)?

Thanks again! ;)

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Simply NO

very few if any IE/windows components are in add/remove programs

That is for programs not parts of windoze

5. h3llo

h3llo Registered Member

Understood.

Thanks for the reply!

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear h3llo, cool username you've got there. locate SYSOC.INF in the windows INF folder and open it with notepad. under the Components section you'll find the word HIDE which makes them invisible to ADD/REMOVE. just remove only the word HIDE but keep those commas. save it and you'll see those programs usually hidden from the menu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.