What are "dros"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Liftek, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liftek

Liftek Registered Member

Hey "The Quest", are you out there? I was reading a couple of your posts from a few months ago and see you have made some references to what you call "dros". I think that I understand the concept but I am not exactly sure of the definition of the word. I have done some searches but can not find any data. Would you please clarify? Anyone with this knowledge can also please answer!! Thanking you in advance; Liftek.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Liftek

Welcomed to Wilders and Acronis Forums

Dros should be spelt Dross my mistake.

[1]Dross is a waste prouct or inpurities formed on the suface of molten metal during smelting, [2] a Worthless or waste material, Or Stultifying rubbish:- reading the dross in the tabloid newspapers. :D

I was uesing it to say that when you fdisk, or delete a Partition or data that the data is not removed, so you are left with Dross.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Liftek.

Liftek. Guest

Thank you for your rapid reply but can you explain how this relates to the magnetic surface of a hard drive disk. What "waste" products are left behind and how does it affect the integrity of the disk surface. Are you saying that this will produce some kind of write errors with acronis when trying to restore an image? and will a full reformat or wiping of the disk with an appropiate program take care of these "dross". Thanks again; Liftek.

4. TheQuest

Hi, Liftek.

I think you misunderstand me, when I say Dross, I mean the the so called deleted data is still on the HDD, so the HDD Partitions and data is sill there to be recovered.

A full format will not alway, but wiping will.

Take Care,

5. Liftek

Liftek Registered Member

Thanks again!!! I have but one more question, I saw in another of your recent posts you say you prefer to do a low level format, oooo's before you restore an image. Is this really necessary to help insure an error free restore than just having acronis's built in quick reformat before it restores the image? Would I be better off wiping the disk with acronis drive cleanser first. I am not really worried about left over or recoverable data but from a purely technical standpoint (as far as errors and reliability of the image are concerened) is this a good policy to follow? Liftek.

6. TheQuest

Hi, Liftek

Whether or not it is really necessary is dependent on your HDD, ie whether is as errors or not, as the wipe process does check the HDD.
    I is a personal choice, as I said before mine is to always wipe. [there is a poll on whether to format or not, on the Poll forum here at Wilders > Polls
    If you do wipe, you a least know the is nothing to interfere with the Image restore. [And Acronis Drive Cleanser is very fast, the fastest there is that I have tried, and I have tested at least six Eraser Programs with my Maxtor HDD's]

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.