What am I missing here?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by weigel5, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weigel5

weigel5 Registered Member

I just built a new computer and am just starting to mess with using Acronis True Image 10.0 (My 1st backup Program).

I did a backup of my ut2004 folder from my old computer and did a recover on my new computer? When trying to play the game, it asked for the cd and stated that the program needed to be re-installed. What part of this puzzle am I missing? I thought the whole purpose of a backup program was to prevent one from having to re-install all of his data?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Weigel5

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

trying installing teh latest patch for UT2004.

3. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

A full backup image is designed to restore a HDD complete with it's operating system.

A clone of a HDD is designed to copy an old drive to a new drive and the new drive to take the place of the old drive in a given computer.

What you are attempting to do, and at this point I don't know if you are making an image or a clone, is to transfer an operating system, plus applications, from one computer to the next. Have you been able to start the operating system?

As far as I know, the operating system, within an image and a clone of a HDD, contains the hardware data of a computer, including its environment, and would be looking for them at restart. If that was not the case, MS would sell a lot less Windows OS...

4. weigel5

I did install the latest patch for UT 2004, really didn't have anything to do with what I'm trying to accomplish here. Infact it defeats the entire purpose of the thread. As I had the latest patch on my old computer.

Anyway, perhaps I should of been more specific as far as the operating system install. I did a slipstream with xpSp2 and a few other programs included. I then tried to transfer a full backup from my old computer to my new with minimal success. Acronis has this article for helping someone in my situation.

However, when trying to accomplish this feat, it really messed up things on my old computer as well. I basically had to tell Windows who I was again and had to re-configure settings and re-install several apps.

I guess the moral of this story is, when your building a new machine or moving up to a new OS. It's probably just better to start from scratch and backup from there.

Weigel5

5. RodM

RodM Registered Member

XP doesn't like to migrate to a new PC. Creating an image to restore would generally only work on identical equipment, IIRC.

Another scenario would be you had your games installed on a drive partition that no longer exists on the new PC. In this case, the previously installed software is looking for something that isn't where it used to be.

6. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

7. weigel5

I did mean that link, thanks. Also when using sysprep.exe I used Acronis True Image 10.0. I guess I need to read the instructions more carefully. Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I didn't realize I had to purchase a separate program. After all, that link was under the Trueimage FAQ's. Not Migrate Easy. Oh well, none the less, my bad.

Weigel5

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello weigel5,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that most of the programs (including games) during their installation not only create the specific program folder, but also place some files into Windows system folders as well as put some data to Windows registry. Therefore, transferring only a program folder to a new system will result in the program not being able to run.

Please also notice that Acronis True Image 10.0 Home includes all of Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 functionality. Please refer to chapter 13 “Transferring the system to a new disk” of the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide for detailed instructions, as well as to the article you mentioned.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.