What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Darryl, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl

Darryl Registered Member

I just installed Acronis True Image 8.0. Completey formatted and setup my laptop to where I wanted it and created my image.

In the past I have only used Norton Ghost but heard so many good things about this product decided to purchase and use it but so far quite disappointed.

I tried to reimage my laptop with the created image file but its taking far to long. I open up the application in Win XP, go to Restore Image, pick the image file and the computer restarts with the Acronis software. Once booted off Acronis, the cursor is almost non responsive, takes forever to respond to user input. I should mention the image file is located on a USB drive connected to the laptop. I waited for over a half an hour while the software is indicating it is processing the drive.

I'm beginning to think this software is not a good image solution, anyone else experiencing this non-responsive slow processing? If I am doing something incorrect please let me know before I return this software and go back to using Ghost.

Thank you, any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Acronis True Image 8.0 (Build 903)

Toshiba Satellite 5200 P4, XP Professional

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Try using the bootable CD for restoration to see if it's any better.
    Are you using SP2? SP1? RTM? version of XP Pro?

3. Darryl

Darryl Registered Member

Win XP Pro SP2

4. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

The simplest next step is to try using the bootable CD. I know you've seen the other thread discussing this issue so you're aware the bootable CD may not be any better - at least it's worth a shot just to be sure.
    At the same time lodge a support request - Acronis will follow up asking for info about your specific configuration and will investigate.

5. Darryl

Darryl Registered Member

Yes the hold up is the USB drive holding the image. Moved the image to restore drive, just to confirm and everything loads fast. Going to copy the image onto a cd and copy.

Thanks

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Darryl,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you have any problem when you boot from Acronis bootable CD please create the sysinfo.txt file and send it to support@acronis.com alond with the detailed information of your problem (please see Acronis post for the detailed instructions). This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. Darryl

Darryl Registered Member

The booting process whether it be from the CD or the installed App works fine. Trying to restore an image located on my USB drive is the issue. I went through a mock-up to see how long it would take to restore the image and processing the drive itself was still running over 45 minutes, quit the task.

Move the image file onto the same harddrive that I want restored, of course the image file cannot be located on the same drive to be restored but wanted to see the processing time and definately concluded that if the image file was copied to a cd for recovery there would be no problem, however the USB drive as the restore source takes far too long.

I am going to do a timed restore today just to see how long it will take to reimage a drive using the connected USB drive as the source.

Thanks.

8. Darryl

Darryl Registered Member

Well there must be issues with TI 8.0 restoring images utilizing USB drives. What would be considered a normal amount of time to restore a 3GB image located on an external USB 2.0 drive and restoring a Toshiba Satellite 5200 P4.

I have created a new bootCD with the latest build (903) and boots into Acronis loader but firstly takes forever to analyze partitions but does finallyrecognize the USB drive. After another 20 minutes it allows me to find the image.
    After following the restore wizard it is now analyzing the partition for over an hour now. Not an accpetable amount of time to reimage.

It would be quicker to just restore the unit with the OS disks and update everything.
    o_O

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Darryl,

The difference in time is resulted from the fact that Acronis True Image uses different drivers for USB and for internal hard drive. We are constantly improving our drivers and each new build contains some fixes. Also please note that the time shown when you launch the restoration is approximate and may differ from the real time needed.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.