wgscan.exe

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Juanita, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juanita

Juanita Guest

A few weeks ago, I downloaded Diamond wormguard to protect my PC as I was having problems getting rid of the viruses. Eventually I got rid of them by deleting checkpoints made by Second Chance.

Now I found that I cannot open e.g "hijack this" by double clicking on it, as it is asking me that it needed wgscan.exe to open it. The only way, I could open it, is to right click and then select open. I have found some of the files with a window icon, I cannot open e.g TMP file, GID file and Exp file. I honestly do not know what the extension means and I am hoping somebody will be able to advise me.

I am using Windows 98. I have found wgscan in C\PQSC\CPS\000127\NEW\Wormguard in Power Quest Second Chance by doing a search on files and folders. I did not find anything in the registry. It seems to be the problem. I have already uninstalled Diamond Wormguard. I have tried to delete it but got the message that "wgscan.exe is a program if you remove it, you will no longer be able to run this program or edit some documents". Is there anything I could do now as I am a bit concerned to delete it and would like to have some expert advise, please. Thanks.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Juanita
    Welcome here.
    If wgscan.exe is still there, and is part of WG which you uninstalled, you can delete it if you find it.
    I donm't know why the part is still there and why other programs are asking for it.
    I run win98se as well and WG runs several years on it and saved my computer's life several times already.

If deleting the file doesn't solve your problem, you might like to install WG again properly, first enable the protection and see if everything is working fine again on your system.
    If you still want to uninstall it after all, first disable the protection and close the program and uninstall it either with the uninstall file in the own WG directory or via add/remove. All files and registry keys should have been gone with that.
    Hope after this all system is back to normal and all files open properly again.

NB: before installing or uninstalling make sure you have not any av/at scanner up, also no resident protection in the background etc.

Hope this helps.

3. Juanita

Juanita Guest

I did find the file and the programme. They are stored in Power Quest Second Chance, it will not let me delete the folder. I get this message access is denied. I would be grateful if you know another way of doing it. Thanks.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm not familiar with Power Quest. Hope somebody who does jumps in. Nothing in the PQ helpfile how to access files?

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Registered Member

Hi Folks,

PowerQuest I believe is the name of the company that makes Partition Magic , and if the files Juanita is trying to get at are on another partition she may have to go through partition magic to get to them.
    I don't know much about Partition Magic but usually when you make backups or copies of a partition you have to go through the program that made the backup in the first place in order to get to them .

Hope this helps.

Frank

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

In Add/Remove programs, find "DiamondCS Wormguard Hook" and just double click it to remove it. Then reboot.

Or go to safe mode, and delete WGUARD.DLL :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.