Weird WinMX AdAware Weirdness

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by suzy software, Jun 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please see the screenshot I took from my ZoneLog:

http://members.tripod.com/~suzysoftware/AdAwareWeird.jpg

Last night I was running WinMX v3.1 and happened to click on the Zone Alarm (v 2.6.8:cool: tray icon and saw that the AdAware Reference Updater v2.0 was running (I'd given it permission 3 weeks ago when I installed the latest version)

So, why was the AdAware Reference Updater Running by itself? Not checking for updates, right?

Also, when I clicked on it to remove it from Zone Alarm it immediately popped up and asked for permission again to access the internet (as a "changed program")

I denied it permission and the AdAware Reference Updater completely. I clicked back onto the downloads I was doing on WinMX and all of them had stopped with the mesage "network down"

When I killed the AdAware Reference Updater access, it also killed my WinMX downloads.

Why?

As you can see in the screenshot it says:

Ad-aware webupdate running on port 6699 (File sharing port for Napster/WinMX, etc) and going to an IP address:
    c-66-177-197-239-se.clien2.attbi.com

How did the AdAware reference Updater attach itself to port 6699 aactions?

suzysoftware

suzysoftware@hotmail.com

2. I wrote:

I denied it permission and the AdAware Reference Updater completely. I clicked back onto the downloads I was doing on WinMX and all of them had stopped with the mesage "network down

I should have said:

I denied it permission and removed the AdAware Reference Updater completely. I clicked back onto the downloads I was doing on WinMX and all of them had stopped with the mesage "network down

suzysoftware@hotmail.com

3. Does anyone have any comments,suggestions or feedback?

I just found it strange that WinMX or AdAware managed to attach themselves to each other under Zone Alarm.

Thank you

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It seems very strange to me that either program could be connected.

Maybe you just encountered some sort of bug?

In any case, I would also suggest dropping by the LavaSoft forums - if anything is known about this, they'd be the place to go.

-javacool

6. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Strange, this - I never had a problem with Adaware. Does this still happen when you run it on demand, rather than startup?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.