weird mp3 files...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ruinebabine, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Hi

I am not sure if I post this in the right place but if not, please tell a better forum to do so. Here goes , by any ways.

A FOM asked me about a strange mp3 files the other day. I think she found on some torrent site, so I was suspicious right on start but it does have a clean check bill on Virustotal "0/40" as of now (and same result with my own on-demand anti-malwares - HMP, MBAM, SAS, et al).

It's supposed to be track files RAR-compacted of some fiction-novel french audiobook. But it is just non playable on any kind of media player that I tried. And what's weird its property's metadata infos are simply emptied all.

mp3tag.png

I am also going next to try some mp3 fixing tool on those files even if I am now skeptical on any positive result (I already downloaded "MP3 Repair Tool", "mpTrim" & "MP3val") but I am a novice on this stuff...

Any help or guidance apreciated.

PS. I uploaded the first track if some good soal want to have a check on it: www megaupload com /?d=V7JRDPF9 (3.59KB -> 2.72MB !)

2. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Here's what I get, look below. But I think this is only corrupt. Obviously the file doesn't play and this could be incomplete file.

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
    • a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      21.7 KB
      Views:
  3. ruinebabine

Yes, but problem is that the original RAR file is not corrupted and when opened, it gives 45 mp3 files truely weghtning in my files managers...

xplorer2.png

EDIT: I also uploaded the original RAR file for them wanting to give a looksee on this strange entity:
    www megaupload com /?d=FCIV765Q

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. Fad

Fad Registered Member

I suspect they are fake, "empty" files....for what reason ? who knows, especially if the folder contains no malware

but MP3s wouldn`t compress that much if they had any real data in them.

Edit: Unless someone had uploaded it initially to a file host site to get "points" for downloads, then someone else had decided to torrent it without checking it first to see if it was even real ?

5. ruinebabine

Yes, it's probably not anything more or less than fake/empty files...

It was just strange for me to see no one any windows files manager able to compile their true weigthing. And to download zippy fast an empty RAR that is labeled more than 280MB at arriving, and that it also uncompresses as many mp3 files that are also almost three hundred mb. But hey! they're only 0's & 1's after all!

I'll simply tell her that there is no possible reviving on them other than to find another better download afresh.

Thanks for for your reply Fad.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.