Webshot desktop = Spyware?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by notageek, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Is it spyware? Does it load spyware? I ask because I'm looking for a program that can change my wallpaper ever other day or so. I tried wallpaerchanger.de and it didn't work. I tried the wallpaper changer from MS and I didn't like it. I tried a few others and didn't like them. I teied Winwall and and other I can't remever the name and I didn't like them.

2. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

I have tried WebShots and never found any spyware in it. I have never heard anyone say it has any spyware in it. Only have heard positive things about the program from the experts who did comment about it.

It's a good program that allows you to download a number of nice pictures (over 200 in the free version) to use as wallpaper or screensavers, and if your like me and want a lot of variety, you'll get quite a few different very good quality pictures on their site, all for free. Plus you can add your own pictures too.

None of my spyware scanners have ever detected any spyware in it. I use Spybot, Ad-aware, Pest Patrol, Giant (on 1st hd), MS AS (on 2nd hd), X-Cleaner, Spycop, SpySweeper, NAV 2005, Antivir, Bazooka, A2, Ewido, ect..ect... Never found anything bad in WebShots.

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

It's pretty clean.....been using it for a couple of years. I see from the 'show us your desktop' thread that a few others also use it.
    Cheers,
    Buck.

4. notageek

Cool. I don't care about downloading pictures. I don't think they have anything I'll like. See I started to put wallpaper of my favorite shows on my desktop now. LOL Most of the shows have nice looking females on the show (like Charmed) and I just find wallpapers like that. Plus it gets on my wifes nerves LOL

5. notageek

Thanks BigBuck. Any known Problems with Webshots desktop and xpo sp 2?

6. bigbuck

Nope, runs 'sweet as a nut' ...has a nice little configurable calendar with it.......and you probably will find that some of the WS pics are really quite good...landscapes etc. I do get a few emails from them advertising new pictures....not a real problem though.....maybe I didn't check or uncheck a box when I DL'd it.
    Cheers.

7. notageek

It never asked for my email address. That's a good thing for me. ;)

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

As far as I know Webshots is clean. Have not found anything to indicate that there is any spyware. U can also have a page there of your own and post your own photos and then download as your wallpaper. U are offered new photos daily but do not have to download them if you do not wish to. U can search the site for the photos you want. It also has a nice calendar on the desktop and will show the following month or two if you wish to set it to do so.

9. notageek

Why does my firewall ask me if I want to allow webshots to connect to the internet? If it's to get pictures daily, why isn't there a part in the options to opt out of that? I don't know about anyone else but I don't like programs that try to take over like that.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Webshots Desktop 2.0....Options

Code:
    26. [B]My Webshots Desktop keeps trying to connect
    to the internet without my permission. How can I disable this?[/B]
    The Webshots Desktop is setup for automatic updates of
    Favorite Member and Daily Photo data. To disable this function:

1. Click [B]Start[/B] and navigate to [B]Settings[/B] >> [B]Control Panel[/B].
    2. Open [B]Network and Dial-up Connections[/B].
    3. On the [B]Advanced[/B] menu, click [B]Dial-up Preferences[/B].
    4. On the [B]Autodial[/B] tab, select the check box next to the location
    where you want to disable autodial, and then click [B]OK[/B].

11. notageek

Thanks but that's been disabled a long time ago. But WebShot still tries to connect to the internet to get the daily pictures. I had to block it with my firewall.

12. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

I've had Weshots for some time now and it never tries to connect to the net. I can't seem to remember how I stopped it though, because I do remember it always trying to connect.... way back.

Try Bubba's advice again, If it doesn't work, you'll just have to go thru the program yourself looking for things to shut down. If I remember how I shut it down I'll post it here.

13. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

The Webshots Desktop is setup for automatic updates of Favorite Member and Daily Photo data. To disable this function:
    Click Start and navigate to Settings >> Control Panel.
    Open Network and Dial-up Connections.
    On the Advanced menu, click Dial-up Preferences.
    On the Autodial tab, select the check box next to the location where you want to disable autodial, and then click OK.

14. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

WS has a wide variety of great images, including characters/scenes from movies/television in the gallery. The site also has a huge community section with photos of virtually every place I ever heard of or visited and many more (in different seasons & at various times of day). It’s a great place for armchair-travel! :cool:

bigbuck- to stop getting their weekly emails: go to My Account (upper right when you're logged in) & then to the Membership tab. Near the bottom, a box about getting weekly updates was checked by default when you registered. Uncheck it. :)

15. bigbuck

Thanks.....now I know how to turn 'em off. But as I said, I don't really mind.....I always have a quick look.
    Cheers.

16. notageek

Peaches, is this what you're refering to?

Attached Files:

• This.jpg
      This.jpg
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.