Webroot, Windows Explorer, and Windows Firewall Control 4

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Charyb, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Webroot is causing excessive memory usage.

Please see here.
    hxxp://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2317443&postcount=477

When I uninstall Webroot, Windows Explorer, Windows Firewall Control Service and Windows Firewall Control memory use drops dramatically.

Windows 8.1 x64.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This has been mentioned by a few other users as well - it isn't related to Windows Firewall Control, rather, it is just WSA and Windows 8.1, due to Windows changing how it handles DLLs in memory when it sees a process load code into Explorer (which WSA does for additional monitoring), resulting in higher RAM usage. The RAM use will not have any negative performance impact but we're still looking into possible workarounds.

3. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Has this been fixed yet?

4. fax

fax Registered Member

I guess a cosmetic change is in the list of things to do for stressed users that don't like to see high number of RAM per process. The fix has low priority as there is no practical impact whatsoever to PC performance. I.e. You can only notice it if you look for it via task manager. On top, if more RAM is needed by the system it will be free up anyway. So, no panic :)

5. guest

guest Guest

yep, no responsiveness impacts except on my mood :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.