Webroot Firewall "Applications" Button

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Pfipps, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

Anybody know why when I start Opera Browser, for example, only the process monitor shows up and not the applications monitor? I haven't had any new apps added to the list since install, which I find odd.
    Process monitor is set to high and all the firewall settings are maxed out to "high."

edit: I also notice that the process monitor list in the program and the list in the advanced settings menu aren't synchronized. Is this a bug?

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

From the main interface, click the file button. From the pop-up there is more config & advance settings that need to be activated even after the "high" settings are chosen. Advanced logging is only available from the start>all programs list and not from the main gui, another "hidden" feature. HTH, I'm going from memory...

3. feniks

feniks Registered Member

Not true completely from GUI you can open too. What brand of memory you have? :)

In the GUI in Firewall Log you can right click on any entry and you can open Advanced logging.

4. 19monty64

The kind of memory that remembers uninstalling WDF because it's memory was even shorter than mine :)

5. feniks

feniks Registered Member

You mean it has problem with remembering setups or rules?

I did not notice that. Can you tell me more please?

6. 19monty64

WDF/DSA had the full week learning period and soon as it was done it blocked Avira's avnotifier. I wasn't at the pc until an hour later to allow
    the suspicious activity? I manually updated ThreatFire and DSA alerted to the changed program, several minutes later? Belarc was blocked because it wanted to check for new security definitions? As was the case with avnotifier, this happened during the training-mode? It's last alert was a cryptic one after reboot. I trialled DSA earlier this year, and set it to block some programs just to see if it could. After a reboot nothing was blocked and the the applications and processes lists didn't show my changes. So when testing WDF/DSA this time I didn't tell it to block any of my programs. In all fairness, it could be a conflict with ThreatFire maybe. It just seems as forgetful as me.

7. feniks

feniks Registered Member

I will keep my eye on that "feature". :)

8. 19monty64

WDF has a mem-prob and I'm thinking it's hardware related, as it went on my pc shortly after a re4mat. I've read a few others that have the same problem. I hear of a lot more that have no such issue, so I can't believe it's WDF in general. On my machine it has what Hairy Coo calls "cyber-farts"...

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Well thanks for inducting me into the Hall of Famous Sayings,but that gem didnt pass from my well formed lips-so I'll have to give full praise to YOU:D

10. 19monty64

Maybe it was me, I'm not really sure. I'm not typing that into the search-bar to find out either, so I guess I'll take the credit... :oops: Maybe it was cyber-burps that I reado_O Correction, it wasn't me, as first spotted here. Thanx Bellgamin!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  11. Hairy Coo

Not to be confused with sparrows farts-which wake me up every morning-there are some monster sparrows around here!

12. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I have a problem with WDF that i hope you can help me with. The firewall works great but I have a memory use issue (via Task Manager). When the computer first starts or is rebooted the memory usage is around 15,000Kb, it will steadily increase for as long as it is running. At one point it got up to 180,000Kb and then I rebooted. I think it is directly attributable to the logging of DHCP Services (Local IP 255.255.255.255:68, Remote IP 10.16.128.1:67). It logs this 5 or 6 times a minute and I cannot find a way to prevent this. It does this through Host Process for Windows Services. Any suggestions? I have just emailed Webroot for advice as well.

13. 19monty64

I'm on a router so maybe that is why mine would only to 40,000 or so, and I did find the need to reboot if I had surfed too long. Closing the browser didn't reclaim much ram but I attributed it to the Opera beta. Please let us know what they say...

14. Hairy Coo

Must say I never have any such memory leak style problems-the usage is around 28000 k total at the most and fairly steady.

As there has been so few comments or documentation at all about this (PrivacyWare) firewall suffering from leaks,as far as I can see-doubt if its a programmers fault.

More likely some unique factor to do with the individual computer.

Edit ; Buzzstone-

A wild shot only-

Open control panel, go to network connections. Right click on Local Area Connection and click properties. Select TCP/IP and select properties. Make sure it is set to automatically obtain IP address.

No doubt Webroot are going to suggest you do a virus check also.

A short tem solution for mem loss to save rebooting

download this :

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/wcmemopt.html

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.