WEBCAM Problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by LenC, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have two Vaio laptops (one is XP, one is Vista) and have had occasional problems with both of them regarding the WEBCAM. When I try to use it for an AIM video chat, I get an error message saying the WEBCAM is in use by another program. I'm not sure what that "other program" is. I haven't been able to identify any processes in task manager that would be using it. I now have a more serious problem with the Vista computer (model VGN-Z520N). The webcam is no longer showing up in device manager at all. Any thoughts as to how to fix this and prevent it from happening in future?

Thanks, Len

2. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Sounds like the driver is corrupted. Just download the latest driver and install it. Or uninstall the driver, then reboot the system, then reinstall the newest driver. Also sometimes if you don't shutdown the webcam properly you might have it still running then you go to turn it on again it would say the process is already running. You would need to stop that service or driver from loading. Best way is just to reboot the system to flush out system and start fresh.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I tried reinstalling driver - didn't help. The webcam is integrated into laptop, so I can't turn it on or off (can I?). Sony told me to reinstall camera utility software - I'll try that, but I'm not hopeful.

Rather than spend my life trying to debug this thing, I might try to use an external webcam and just kill the integrated webcam entirely. These vaios are very disappointing hardware - especially for the price - for this reason and others.:thumbd: I was foolish to buy the second one.

4. tipstir

Oh you did buy a SONY well still better than most out there. The only problem with them is getting the right drivers. Did SONY have some sort of update for the camera utility software? Sounds like there isn't one. So there is a problem with the software and the OS.

You should have something in the system tray for the webcam to disable it and enable it? Thus is where the Webcam software is suppose to load it. Make sure the webcam service is eabled and set to auto. If you decided to disabled the built-in one go and get yourself the Logitech webcam.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks Tipstir - This is actually my son's computer. I'll see him (and the computer) this weekend. I'll see what I can do.

BTW, I did read that a webcam can conflict with an all-in-one printer. It just so happens the computer is attached to an HP all-in-one. Do you think that is a possibility?

6. tipstir

Depends.. I have HP all-in-one and webcam. You can still use it has a printer by buying a small print server that has USB and LAN connection doing that would still allow you to print with the webcam active. If you want to scan/copy then you would need to remove or disable the webcam. Again it depends on the webcam might not have a conflict? Just try and see what happens.

7. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

@tipster,
    What would cause an conflict between an WebCam and an all-in-one-printer?
    I am having an hard time understanding the logical problem/conflict, would you please shed some light on this for me/us?

Thanks,
    HKEY1952

8. tipstir

OP stated that. I have HP all-in-one home and business and don't have that issue but not saying just became I don't have that issue someone else might have some sort of conflict with certain brands of webcam.

But you must know that HP all-in-one software and drivers are known for issues when it comes to other devices connected to USB. Of course there are workarounds to fix these issues.

9. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Because the all-in-one has an imaging device (scanner) and the webcam shows up under imaging devices in device manager - that is what I read, I'm not saying I agree with it (or fully understand it).

I will have access to computer this weekend and will do some troubleshooting - as best I can. I'll report back on Monday.

10. tipstir

To fix that uninstall the HP-all-in-one driver and software. Reboot the system and install the webcam and test. Get that un and running. Then reboot the system. And install the HP all-in-one scanner/printer and test. IRQ conflict with devices on the same number.

11. HKEY1952

That's it! :thumb:

HKEY1952

12. LenC

LenC Registered Member

First of all, Tipstir and HK1952 - thank you for all your help - I really do appreciate it - and need it.

One more question - what do you mean by "IRQ conflict with devices on the same number"? Is that something I'm looking for?

By the way, that is the order in which devices were installed. The computer came with the built-in webcam and I then installed HP hardware and software afterwards.

13. tipstir

1. control panel
    2. system
    3. hardware
    4. device manager
    5. view
    6. resources by type

Look under IRQ each device is assigned a number. Sometimes devices use the same number and sometimes it allowed. But in your case you don't want the HP-all-in-one and your webcam to use the same IRQ number.

14. HKEY1952

IRQ stands for Interrupt Request

It is an very deep and complex process, here are some links to help understand Interrupt Requests:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/change-irq-settings.htm

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/irq/irq.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068

HKEY1952

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  15. tipstir

HK so technical, okay for you and I but most might not understand all that techo info. Still good to know..

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I suppose it's technical, but there is nothing wrong with understanding the basics of computing.

Decades ago I learned how to program in assembler. Understanding the technical foundations of computers can be useful, it prevents people from seeing the computer as a 'magic box'.

On the other hand, nowadays people don't have the kind of unrealistic expectations of computers like they did 20 years ago. But that's my impression.

17. HKEY1952

I believe the subject is explained on an level for all to comprehend.....Everyone has an brain capacity equal to or greater than my brain capacity or your brain capacity.....
    The only difference between your brain and my brain compared to other brains, is that you and I trained our individual brains in an specific region for an specific subject.
    Thus, you and I have an higher level of average knowledge in an specific region of our brains pertaining to an specific subject, however, everyone is capable of achieving
    the same level of, or greater level of, the higher level of average knowledge that you and I currently exist pertaining to the same subject. Currently, the only difference between
    your brain and my brain is that currently, my brain has the ability to understand that my brain is no better than any other brain, and currently, my brain understands that my brain
    exists an above average intelligence in an specific region for an specific subject due to an gift from an higher power.
    Your brain also exists the same or greater ability compared to my brain to understand what I just Posted.

HKEY1952

18. tipstir

Boy what logic stated above.. Brings a smile to my face.. :thumb:

19. HKEY1952

I am glad that I was able to cheer you up! :D

HKEY1952

20. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have had difficulty consistently replicating or reproducing my webcam problems. It seems that

1)sometimes everything works fine

2)sometimes I can get no connection and I get messages from either or both computers that the computer has no webcam

3)sometimes I get a weak connection with garbled audio and choppy video

I'm beginning to think this is a connection issue and the problems are due to traffic on either the internet or on my son's school's network. Problems seem to occur most in early evening (around 8:00 or so).

So, thanks everyone for your help, I'll play with this some more and report back if I have any additional information.

21. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I am trying to reinstall vaio webcam utility software. Program appears in control panel (add/remove), but not in my start menu and there is no folder in c\program files. So I assume there is a corrupted installation

So I start by executing "remove program" and it reports that uninstall was successful. I execute the reinstall, but the program files again do not appear in c:\program files and there is no shortcut in my startup menu.

I am baffled as to why the program will not install, but control panel thinks it has installed. Could there be a corrputed entry in my registry that is preventing correct installation? Sony Tech Support tells me to start over with a clean install from recovery disks. That will take so much time to rebuild that I'd prefer to just live without webcam.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Len

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.