Webcam and LED Indicator

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by rubberducky, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubberducky

rubberducky Registered Member

How do I know that someone has hacked my laptop webcam? My webcam has an LED that will turn on if the camera is activated. Can a hacker bypass the LED? I am thinking of just cover the camera but that would look ugly

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Mybe you should use some security software, so the hacker won't be able to access your computer...

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I'd say it's very unlikely that the LED could be isolated to turn off whilst the camera is active. What's worse, putting something like a small removeable sticker over the lens hole, or being viewed ? So even if the camera was activated, nobody could see anything.

Don't forget about the microphone either, you would have to completely silence that by physically removing the wires, or with a switch.

Disabling both the mic and camera in the software panel will work, but could be activated by malware.

4. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Yes, completely possible. Such a malware was being sold at underground hacking forums someday ago and that works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.