WEB: Hide computer name/isp name, beside anonymous ip surfing

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by karib, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karib

karib Registered Member

I was searching programs in order to surf anonymously in internet.
    I found some of thems, they work in a way or another, sometimes with problems.

Problems:
    1.Firstly I would like to tell me good apps to provide me anonymity on web surfing. I used steganos internet anonym, but it seem to have some problems.

MAIN PROBLEM:
    2.My problem is that I cannot hide yet, the 'unique' identification of a name that consists of computer name and isp name.
    This is always visible, as far as I checked them in many specific on privacy web pages on the net.

Can you please tell me a program to hide the computer name-isp identification, beside hiding of the ip, when I surf the net?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. karib

karib Registered Member

I read it. I found many useful things.

But I would appreciate if someone could tell me about hiding not the ip because this seems to be quite easy.

Tell me about hiding the 'unique' identification of a name that consists of computer name and isp name. This is something that can be seen, I checked it.

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

An anonymizing web proxy service like anonymizer should take care of it for you.

5. karib

karib Registered Member

Can you please be more specific?

I tested some software like steganos internet anonym but it hides ip and not computer name-isp name.

Jap, seems to do that, but it has always almost the same ip type xxx.anon-proxy.xxx

I would like something smarter.

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

That is the name of the service: Anonymizer

I've used the previous Privacy Manager (before Anonymizer2004) and it works well. They seem to have dumbed it down a little for the general public in the 2004 version (less options). But the important features are still there hiding your IP and using SSL between you and Anonymizer. I do occasionaly have a problem with Privacy Manager running away with high CPU use.

What site(s) are you testing your privacy at?

You should not be leaking your computer name. Your network setup may not be secure if your computer name is getting out. It may be that the site is using an ActiveX/Java/Javascript trick to learn this however.

If you are not using an anon proxy, then your ip will be visible, which could then reveal your isp with a reverse lookup.

7. karib

karib Registered Member

I am testing the privacy at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I do not understand what happens and my computer name/isp name is visible.
    I do not understand because steganos internet anonym not only hides ip but has options about java/javascript/active x etc. I check them all to be disabled but the computer/isp name was still visible.

Ip is hidden of course.

Only jap surely changed not only the ip but also the computer name/isp name.
    But I am logging to a specific site so I want to be invisible but I do not want to show always a german prefix like .de !
    Steganos display every little seconds a new ip! This is incredible!
    But it seems to work perfect only with ip.

What can I do about the computer/isp name?

I want to use a programm installed on my pc, not a web page or service.

8. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

Because GRC's steve gibson is a superhacker, who knows all and sees all...
    :)

Okay, I'm kidding, see the post on the dangers of HTTPS somewhere on this forum

9. karib

karib Registered Member

This was important info!

Almost all sites I visit are http and not https.
    So, I feel better now.

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Bleh, it's stuff like this that makes me wonder if Gibson is losing it. :( First, the "name" is a domain name, not a "machine name". While it is possible for domain names to be unique, they are not necessarily (i.e. you can have several for a single IP address). For this reason, they are of little or no use in tracking and they are certainly not like a "supercookie". At most, they can disclose your ISP and geographic location - and if you are using a proxy they will simply give the proxy's details.
    You have to supply an address otherwise you would not be able to receive any data back from sites you contact. Proxies act like postboxes - a website knows you are using them but they do not know your real address behind them (see what happens when you access that page without a proxy). JAP does not do anything for active content (Java, etc) since this is best handled by other software running on your system.
    If you want a different address or domain name with JAP, change the mix (there are 3 currently available). If you think that a rapidly changing IP address is important (I'd disagree, but hey it's your decision) then use software that rotates through multiple proxies (like Multiproxy). However none of them encrypt your connection to the proxies in the first place (like JAP does) so your online activity will remain visible to your ISP.

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

"Brilliant explanation P2k!"..... ~ hands clapping ~ :D

GF :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.